How to Show Gratitude to God and to People We Love
What is Gratitude?
Gratitude is the actions of the person who are always giving value to the father who made a good thing to him. Also, it is having a joyous heart and feelings to the person who make good thing to him.
Gratitude came from the Latin “gratus”, “gratia” and “gratis”. It is the action that needs to exist continuously to make it a virtue. According to Susan Jeffers, “starts in conditioning yourself in saying thank you even ten times a day”. If this will become a virtue, it is easy for you to have a kind heart. According to Aesop, “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” According to Saint Thomas de Aquino, “there are three levels of gratitude- appreciating of what others done, thanking, and giving back of what others good thing done to you.
According to Fr. Albert E. Alejo, S.J.,” showing your gratitude is not just only to those people who done things to you, you may also give your gratitude through having a kind heart and doing good things to other people.
A person who always shows his gratitude is a person who are full of blessings, a heart who knows how to give value those good things that he receive from others. One of the important parts of gratitude is a lowering your pride because you accept that not all good things happened to you is not just only by your actions. Always remember the saying “No man is an island.”
Some ways of showing your gratitude
1.Have a virtual gratitude
- This can do through self- reflection. Every day, even sudden times, try to think those people or things that you want to thank. Also, it is good to make a list of those people you want to thank or things that you want to do to show to them that you are grateful for them. Always thank God who continuously gives you a life and the nature like wind, sun, rain, and etc?
2. Send a letter to the people who done good things to you or those in great needs of your gratitude.
- It might very simple yet it will surely feel your gratitude. Sending a letter to your friend will make your friendship stronger. It’s really true to the feelings to receive a letter in a stationary compared to Facebook, text message or e-mail.
3.Give simple hug or hand to the shoulders if needed.
- This shows how you value all the good things done to you. It is very important to feel them that you thank them through a hug or putting your hands on shoulders. For example, a good thing to show your gratitude is when you hug your friend because he helps you to choose a shirt suited to you. He will feel that you value their taste even himself.
4.Thank every day
- As you wake- up every day, it is very important to eliminate the entire negative thoughts instead think all the good things and the mission of life. Face the day through of thinking those blessings that you receive for instance, air that you inhale, the sun that gives light and especially those acquaintances that give service like drivers, police, or even teacher that give them to you. This will make you more active to face your day.
5.Collect quotations that will make you feel good.
- We heard or even read many quotations that cause us to change our thoughts or lighten up our heart. It is better if all of this will collect in a book, put in a table or beside the bed for you to read and remind all the time.
6.Do good things that will make you feel good?
7.If you have a virtue of gratitude, you will make simple things that surely will give happiness to others. For example, rendering your service to help them in feeding program, giving used clothes to the victims of typhoon and etc. if you do this, you will have a achievement to yourself that you are important member of your family, community, country at planet.
8.Give a simple gift
9.A simple gift but give a remembrance or value to the person who made good things to you can give happiness to him. Remember, the important it is from your heart, you give it whole- heartedly.
Showing your gratitude even in a simple way gives happiness to the person who makes good things to you. You appreciate and know his personality who donates a help to you especially in times of difficulties.
If being grateful is a special virtue because you execute your moral obligation while the ingratitude is a bad attitude that ruin the person even his personality.
Are you always thankful of what life God had given you?
There are 3 levels of ingratitude, these are:
1. You never give back the good things to the person
2. Hiding the good doings done by the others
3. Forgetting of good things received from others
· Forgetting is a proof that you never give value the sacrifices of the person that even in a simple way he helps you to have a good life. On the other side, you need to widen your mind to the people who do not know how to thank others. Don’t think that you thought them to be an abuse person’, they are still in the process to be sensitive to others and to the effects of the things done to him. Maybe they are still don’t have a power to remember your kindness
The opposite of being grateful or gratitude can be reflecting to entitlement mentality. It is believed or thought that whatever the person wanted must give attention immediately. One example of this is that by not being thankful of the children to their parents despite of all the sacrifices they do not have or give them a brighter future.
We also see the youth nowadays the entitlement mentality being aggressive to reach or have whatever they want to the time they want to have it. Because of materialism, they depend to their parents to give their wants because they are their children and it is their rights to buy them modern gadgets like cell phone tablet or lop tap. If they don’t have their wants, they accused their parents with bad words to them.
What is the use or advantage of gratitude?
According to the study of institute for research on unlimited love( IRUL), founded the good things, effects or advantage of being grateful to our health:
1. By giving at least 15 minutes daily to think or give attention to the things that you are thank with, can increase an antibodies that are responsible in preventing a bacteria in our body.
2. A grateful person has a focus or directness of mind and has a chance to be free by depression.
3. Being grateful can attract to have a proper system of body by having a healthy pulse rate or blood pressure.
4. The body become healthier and can do the work effectively those people who are thankful rather than who are not.
5. The benefactors of donated organ who have a thankful heart have a high chance to get well from diseases.
The study has proven that taking life of gratitude is one way to avoid diseases and to maintain our health.
Beside of the benefits of gratitude to our health, it is also give happiness to our life. According to Souja Lyubomminsky, a famous psychologist, there are eight reasons why gratitude gives happiness to people:
1.Increases the value to himself
- Because of the kindness of the people to you. You prone that you have a value to them. This is where it gives you a trust to yourself and inspiration to do good things to the others.
2.Helpful to overcome difficulties and bad experiences
- If you have a virtue of gratitude despite of the challenges of life, youlearn how to perceive the world positively and handle life easy.
3.Strengthen the morality of the person
- Because you know the kindness of the people to you, to turn it back by good actions or words. Yet, although you did not receive the same what you had done, you have to continue to do good things, love and understand the people. According to Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta,” even they forget good things you had done today, still keep doing good things”
4.Helps to build a relationship, strengthen the connections and cultivate the new one.
- It keep stronger the group or organization because of the good relationship to others.
5.Avoid people from insecurity
- f you are truly a thankful person in every blessing you have, you will never think to compare yourself to others’ life.
6.Oppose the negative emotion
- ·It fades away the negative feelings or emotions like anger or greediness. Actually. It’ really hard to entertain negative emotions if you are thankful to your life.
7.Helps to avoid to be addicted to material things
- The happiness contribute by despite of having simple things or materials. You learn how to value it more and be happy to your life. You do not aim things that are not needed.
8.It lead the person to feel the positive experience in life
- ·Because of the blessings you receive, you learn how to be contented in life. You learn how to be more determined in life.
According to the survey of the youth, they have many things to thank in their life yet they give attention to thank first the God, second family and third life as a supreme gift from God.
During the time of your difficulties and seems like you are very hopeless, speak the word “thank you”. You may make it through reflection and silent prayer to help you to open up your heart and accept all the sufferings with gratitude.
It is very important that you yourself know how to thank all the simple blessings. It is important to thank our family for their infinite love, to our friends who always true for us, to the people who are rendering their services, and especially to our God who is truly love us.