- Education and Science»
- Colleges & University
History of D.M.E.T Kolkata
Directorate Of Marine Engineering and Training
THE GLORIOUS D.M.E.T.
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW
D.M.E.T is an institute offering Marine Engineering degree with a military class discipline. It is recognised as a paramilitary institute by Govt. Of India.
The Present Campus of D.M.E.T. (Directorate of Marine Engineering Training) started its operations in Taratalla Road (Near Brace Bridge), Alipore, Kolkata in 1953. The new college building in Kolkata was formally inaugurated as the Marine Engineering College on December 14, 1953 by the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru with the Transport Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
At that time students had to undergo training at marine workshops (left of the new college building) during the day and attend classes by at night for 3 years of the program. The 4th year was devoted fully to classroom instruction at Kolkata. In 1962, an all-India entrance examination was introduced to streamline the standard of the incoming class. In and around1981 the D.M.E.T. engineering cadets were recognised by Institute of Engineers (India) with a First Class (Engineer)licence which is equivalent to as a graduate engineer, hence with right of being called a Chartered Engineer.
All along these years Marine Engineering Training at M.E.R.I., Calcutta was undergoing various internal curriculums and training methods led to recognition of the graduation certificate of the 4 year course at D.M.E.T., as being equivalent to a first degree in Marine Engineering, by the Government of India.
Marine Engineering and Research Institute
D.M.E.T/M.E.R.I IN 2010
D.M.E.T/M.E.R.I celebrated its Diamond Jubilee on 14-Dec-2010 with all round celebrations.
There has been multidimensional change in the Administration, Affiliation and the Management of the Institute since it began working in Kolkata at new Campus.
1. One of the major changes has been its change of Affiliation from Jadavpur University to the newly established Indian Maritime University Chennai hence forth mentioned as I.M.U. Chennai.
2. it’s been renamed from M.E.R.I to I.M.U Kolkata Campus.
3. It has started D.N.S (Diploma in Nautical Science) course in Campus after its affiliation with I.M.U. Chennai. With intake of 40 Cadets per batch each 6 months.
4. Yearly college fest TEMPEST
In 2010 from 14th to 17th Nov.
5. A relatively newly developed Auditorium for hosting the annual functions.
6. A yearly All India Sports Fest – Chakravyuh from this year 2010.
D.M.E.T | M.E.R.I Admissions
The selection of candidates for the degree programme in MERI Kolkata is made through the prestigious; most prepared and feared undergraduate joint entrance examination held by the IITs each year.
The students wishing to join the Institute has to qualify the written exam of IIT-JEE and separately apply to IMU for registering himself for considering his name for the rank list and getting a call for counselling.
The application form to IMU is available in early March.
Training Marine Engineers for the World
D.M.E.T – DIRECTORATE OF MARINE ENGINEERING TRAINING
D.M.E.T / M.E.R.I - HISTORY AND PRESENT STATE 2010
Training Marine Engineers for the World
Marine Engineering and Research Institute in Kolkata offers B. Tech (Marine Engineering) that help mould engineer officers for the merchant navy. After a chequered history stretching over six decades, MERI Kolkata is regarded as a prominent marine institute at the global level.D.M.E.T/M.E.R.I celebrated its Diamond Jubilee on 14-Dec-2010 with all round celebrations.
The land area of Institute is 33 acres.
1. Main College Building
2.1 Senior Hostel &
L Wing (Fourth Years)
2.2 East-West Wing (Second & Third years)
2.3 Junior Hostel (First Year)
3. Olympic size Swimming Pool
4. Library: The institute has a large, fully fledged technical library and is well stocked with books, journals, videos, periodicals etc.
5.1 Mechanical Lab,
5.2 Hydraulic Lab,
5.3 Heat Lab,
5.4 Electronic Lab,
5.5 Electrical Lab,
5.6 Control Lab,
5.7 Boiler Lab,
5.8 Computer Lab,
5.9 Marpol Lab,
5.10 Fire Fighting Lab,
5.11 Simulation Lab,
5.12 Seamanship Lab.
6. A Sports ground (behind the College building)
7. A well equipped Multi Gym.
8. A big centrally Air Conditioned Auditorium (Left of Junior Hostel)
MERI-Kol | Contact Address
MARINE ENGINEERING AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE KOLKATA,
P-19 TARATALLA ROAD
Phone: 033 -2401 4673;
HOW TO REACH
You can catch buses from Howrah railway station with route name
2. 12 C
3. 13 A
Approvals and Accreditions
1. The course has the approval of A.I.C.T.E.
2. WORKSHOP-M.E.R.I. has a large Workshop with adequate machinery, equipment and Steam and Diesel power plants for training and to meet I.M.O. and A.I.C.T.E. requirements. All the A.I.C.T.E.'s requirements are met in Class rooms and labs.
3. The Ministry of Education and Culture accorded approval to the graduation certificate issued by the Institution as being equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Marine Engineering with effect from 1980-1983 courses for the purpose of recruitment to superior posts and services under the Central Government.
4. The Cadets graduating from M.E.R.I. are exempted from Class 4A & 4B from 1982 by The Institution of Engineers (India).
5. In order to meet the IMO requirements for Marine Engineers working on board the ship the training curriculum in this Institute has also been oriented to comply with the requirements of the STCW 95 convention.
6. For Quality accreditation, the 'System Manual' and the 'Procedure Manual' have already been prepared and the Institute is a certified ISO-9001 institute. It also complies with the Indian Government's Right to Information Act.
Marine Engineering Curriculum in MERI
The curriculum covers areas such as mechanics of machines/ materials, advanced mathematics, advanced computer science, electronics, fluid mechanics, and other engineering/ technology subjects.
In addition to this, there are subjects like administrative services, management, and entrepreneurship. Training is given in physical exercise, parade, housekeeping, swimming and outdoor games, in order to ensure that every trainee acquires the mental and physical attributes essential for development as a marine engineer.
All the Cadets joining the Institute are placed in the leading Shipping Companies in On-Campus Placement held in the latter half of the VIth Semester. The Institute boasts of a 100% placement every year.
Only those cadets who don’t have any supplementary in any semester exam till Vth semester are allowed to appear for the placement. Every cadet is given a choice for appearing to a company of his choice depending on the number of cadets appearing for the same company and the companies qualification demand.
Marine Engineering as a Career
From Wikipedia –
“Marine engineering emerged as a discipline with the arrival of marine engines for propulsion, largely during the latter half of the 19th century. Early marine engineers were known as "stokers" as they 'stoked' the coal fires of steam engine ships more or less from the middle of the 19th to the middle of the 20th centuries; the term is still used affectionately by modern ship's engineering staff to describe their role”.
Marine engineering deals with manufacture, design and operation of ship machinery and engines. Marine engineering courses are associated with the construction and maintenance of the ships as well as other sailing vessels. The marine engineers are engaged in supervising the engine crew involved in operating the machines. They also check for the smooth functioning of all electric motors, steam engines and propulsive engines etc.
Marine Engineers having experience as Chief Engineer onboard Ship are given priorities in many jobs. They are considered as practical engineers. They receive high priority and highly paid jobs with ease. The more prestigious shipping jobs are reserved for the marine engineers.
For the initial appointment as a junior engineer officer as well as for promotions, he will have to acquire appropriate Certificates of Competency through the examinations conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport. The following examinations are being held periodically at different centres.
Ranks of Marine Engineers-
1. Extra First Class Engineer
2. Marine Engineer Officer Class I
3. Marine Engineer Officer Class II
4. Marine Engineer Officer Class III
5. Marine Engineer Officer Class IV
There are lots of shore based opportunities available to the Marine Engineering professionals throughout the world. They are instead most sought after professionals in the Oil and Petroleum Industry, Mining Industry etc.
Following Website offer good content and are worth visiting