How to achieve academic success : 10 Study Habits tips for Students!
What is the purpose of education?
© Chitrangada Sharan, June 2013
All Rights Reserved.
- Being from a teaching background, I have often noticed some students, inspite of being intelligent with a sharp mind, are not able to score well in their examinations.
- Teachers and Professors are in too much hurry to complete the syllabus and load the students with homework and assignments.
- Even if the students finish their assignments, do they follow the subject matter in their hurry to finish the work?
- Do they really understand the subject or just cram to score good marks?
- The whole purpose of education is defeated, if the student is not able to understand the subject and implement the value of education in real life.
The Basis Of Studying :
The main purpose of writing this hub is to briefly outline, the basics or the purpose of Study and how to do it.
I strongly believe that being systematic and organised in any thing you do, is very important. Similarly in Studies.
Being Regular and Disciplined, can make even an average student achieve great success in his studies.
Here I briefly outline the Things to be kept in mind for Students.
10 Rules To Achieve Success As A Good Student:
1. Prepare a workable STUDY SCHEDULE or TIMETABLE;
2. Learn the SKILLS for efficient study;
3. Master the art of making NOTES;
4. Develop CONCENTRATION power;
5. Develop, discover and find out methods of building a POWERFUL MEMORY;
6. Work to develop READING SKILLS;
7. Develop WRITING SKILLS by constant practice;
8. Develop and increase power of using WORDS or increase your WORD POWER;
9. Develop efficient techniques to be successful in EXAMINATIONS;
10. Learn TIME MANAGEMENT techniques to get most out of the time you devote to your studies.
" Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration."
-----Thomas. A. Edison.
Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life.
Do You Lack Motivation?--Be Your Own Motivation!
The skills are not too difficult to develop and master. Once a student has set his/ her mind to achieve success in studies, they will be able to tackle even the toughest topics and subjects.
So the 'Will power' will build the 'Self confidence' and they would know, 'What to do', 'How to do' and slowly the student will be able to do it.
'There is no shortcut to success.'
DO YOU LACK MOTIVATION?
Lack of Motivation is the chief enemy to effective learning. It might lead to boredom, staying away or the usual tendency of putting off today's work for tomorrow. And then occurs the backlog, which makes things even worse.
- Students with lack of motivation, do not have enough drive, imagination, spirit or enthusiasm to search new avenues.
- They usually do what they are told to do that too with reluctance and grudge.
- They can not concentrate and their memory is poor.
1. Do you have definite goals or ambitions or purpose in life?
2. Can you think and plan on your own?
3. Do your parents and teachers encourage you enough?
4. Are you able to cope up with your studies?
Well the answer is within you--Become your own Motivation!
Soon you will know you are highly motivated if you,
-----develop interest in your subjects and decide to work hard and do start to work hard.
------develop efficient and effective sound habits of STUDY.
Take A Small Test To Understand And Thereby Improve Your Study Habits:
Here You Have To Be honest to yourself!
1. Do you normally know in the mornings, how you you are going to spend the day?
2. Do you spend lot of time trying to figure out, which way to begin your study?
3. Do you often have to work under pressure and then your work is left unfinished?
4. Are you in the habit of putting off or postponing your difficult assignments?
5. Do you waste time switching on from one study assignment to another?
6. Do you sit at your study table for hours but your mind is elsewhere and little or nothing is achieved at the end?
7. Do you finish your study methodically and with responsibility or in a hurried or haphazard way?
8. Are you aware of your strengths and weaknesses?
9. Do you set goals for yourself and stick to it?
10. Do you monitor your improvements and count your successes?
If you have answered most of the questions in-- 'YES', you are on the right path.
But if you have answered most of the questions in 'NEGATIVE', I am afraid you have a long way to go become a Good and efficient student.
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Deal With Your Child, Having Examination Stre...
Have you heard of 'examination blues'? Proper planning,methodical study can help deal with such stress like situations. Parents should be realistic and avoid over expectation and be good counselors.
- Overdependence on technology By Children.
Life today is dependent on technology. So much so, that we can not think of life, without an electronic gadget beside us. But too much dependence on electronic devices, especially among young children , seriously affects them physically as well as me
How To Increase Efficiency In Studies!
The general principle on which students crack competitive examinations such as
AIEEE, IIT JEE, CAT,etc. is------
'Speed with accuracy.'
Getting best results in least possible time can be termed as---EFFICIENCY and this is the golden key to success in Studies.
A student can become efficient in the subject matter only after, mastering the skills, so much so that the techniques are at your fingertips.
You should be able to work almost automatically, with ease and speed. To obtain that is not easy but once you do so with constant hard work and discipline, it becomes so much easier and you enjoy every task that you assign to yourself.
Why do you study?
The Last Word:
To conclude on a positive note:
I always believe that Hard work, Will power and Self discipline if combined, can make you achieve great successes.
Even if you are a person of moderate ability, but use your talents methodically, you will gain more than a person of greater ability, who is not methodical.
© Chitrangada Sharan, 20th June, 2013.
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Engage Kids Constructively During School Vaca...
Summer Vacations is an ideal time to make kids Learn with Fun. Channelize their energy in constructive activities, relax, recharge and rejuvenate and also strengthen their academics by playful methods.
- Motivation is so Important for Children : Role of Pa...
Who doesn't need a little motivation! Parents and teachers of young kids have a great role in tracing the path for a child's success in academics etc., by providing them the much needed 'Motivation'.
- How To Manage Time : Time Management Tips, Since We ...
All of us have only 24 hours in a day to complete our work. How to manage time effectively? Time cannot be managed. What you can manage is the usage of time efficiently by following some techniques.
- 5 Qualities of a Great Teacher : For Best Teacher-...
A Good teacher can inspire, ignite and instill knowledge to his students.Every child deserves to have a caring adult in his/her life. And that's not always a parent. Often times it is a teacher!
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan