How to Achieve Academic Success-10 Study Habits and Tips for Students!
What is the purpose of Education?
Being from a teaching background, I have often noticed that some students, in spite of being intelligent, with a sharp mind, are not able to score well, in their examinations.
Teachers and Professors, are in too much hurry to complete the syllabus and load the students, with homework and assignments.
Even if the students finish their assignments, do they follow the subject matter in their hurry to finish the work?
Do they really understand the subject, or just cram to score good marks?
The whole purpose of education is defeated, if the student is not able to understand the subject and implement the value of education in real life.
The Basis Of Studying :
The main purpose of writing this hub is to briefly outline, the basis or the purpose of Study and how to do it.
I strongly believe, that being systematic and organised in any thing you do, is very important. This applies to Studies as well.
Being regular and disciplined, can make even an average student, achieve great success in the studies.
This article provides, a brief outline of the things, to be kept in mind, for the Students, to achieve academic success.
10 Rules to Achieve Success as a Good Student:
1. Prepare a workable ’study schedule’ or ‘timetable’;
2. Learn the skills for ‘efficient study’;
3. Master the art of making ‘notes’;
4. Develop ‘concentration’ power;
5. Develop, discover and find out methods of building a ‘powerful memory’;
6. Work to develop ‘reading skills’;
7. Develop ‘writing skills’, by constant practice;
8. Develop and increase power of using ‘words’ or increase your ‘word power’;
9. Develop efficient techniques to be successful in ‘examinations’;
10. Learn ‘time management’ techniques, to get most out of the time you devote to your studies.
" Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration."
-----Thomas. A. Edison.
Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life.
Do You Lack Motivation?--Be Your Own Motivation:
The above mentioned skills are not too difficult, to develop and master. Once a student has set his/ her mind, to achieve success in studies, they will be able to tackle, even the toughest topics and subjects.
Therefore, the 'Will power' will build the 'Self confidence' and they would know, 'What to do', 'How to do' and slowly, the student will be able to do it.
And remember, 'There is no shortcut to success.'
Do you lack motivation?
Lack of Motivation is the chief enemy, to effective learning. It might lead to boredom, staying away or the usual tendency, of putting off today's work for tomorrow. And then, occurs the backlog, which makes things, even worse.
- Students with lack of motivation, do not have enough drive, imagination, spirit or enthusiasm to search new avenues.
- They usually do, what they are told to do, and that too with reluctance and grudge.
- They can not concentrate and their memory is poor.
Ask yourself, the following questions:
1. Do you have definite goals or ambitions or purpose in life?
2. Can you think and plan on your own?
3. Do your parents and teachers encourage you enough?
4. Are you able to cope up with your studies?
Well the answer is best known to you and within you.
Become your own Motivation:
Soon, you will know that you are highly motivated,
Firstly, if you develop interest in your subjects and decide to work hard and do start to work hard.
Secondly, if you develop efficient and effective, sound habits of study.
Take A Small Test To Understand And Thereby Improve Your Study Habits:
Here you have to be honest, to yourself.
1. Do you normally know in the mornings, how you are going to spend the day?
2. Do you spend, a lot of time trying to figure out, which way to begin your study?
3. Do you often have to work under pressure and then your work is left unfinished?
4. Are you in the habit of putting off or postponing your difficult assignments?
5. Do you waste time, switching on from one study assignment, to another?
6. Do you sit at your study table for hours, but your mind is elsewhere, and little or nothing is achieved at the end?
7. Do you finish your study methodically, and with responsibility, or in a hurried or haphazard way?
8. Are you aware of your strengths and weaknesses?
9. Do you set goals, for yourself and stick to it?
10. Do you monitor your improvements, and count your successes?
If you have answered most of the questions in-- 'YES', you are on the right path.
But, if you have answered most of the questions in 'NEGATIVE', I am afraid, you have a long way to go, become a Good and efficient student.
How To Increase Efficiency In Studies!
The general principle, on which the students crack competitive examinations such as
AIEEE, IIT JEE, CAT,etc. is------
'Speed with accuracy.'
Getting the best results, in the least possible time, can be termed as---Efficienc!
And, this is the golden key to success in Studies.
A student can become efficient in the subject matter only after, mastering the skills, so much so, that the techniques are at his/ her fingertips.
The student should be able to work almost automatically, with ease and speed.
To obtain that is not easy, but once you do so with constant hard work and discipline, it becomes so much easier and you enjoy, every task that you assign to yourself.
Why do you study?
The Conclude on a positive note:
It is a tried and tested mantra, that Hard work, Will power and Self discipline, if combined together, can lead the students, to achieve great success.
Even if the student is a person of moderate ability, but uses his/ her talents methodically, they will gain more than a person of greater ability, who is not methodical.
For further reading:
How to make and follow a study time table, Source: YouTube
How to study effectively for schools and colleges, Source: YouTube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan