How to Enjoy Life at a Single Sex School
I went to an all girl school for my entire high school education and loved every minute of it. I believe my years there made me a more confident and well rounded individual. Here are some reasons why single sex schools are great and how you can enjoy this time.
1. Don't worry about how you look.
When you get dressed in the morning, you don't have to worry about how you look. And most likely, if you are at a single sex school, you are going to have a uniform. I loved wearing a uniform. I didn't even have to think about what I was going to wear. And wearing a uniform eliminated that need for specific clothing or brands. There was only one brand of uniform and everyone wore it.
Did you know?
- 48% of girls graduating from all girl schools feel they are great at math while only 37% of girls in co-ed schools feel that way.
- 33% more girls graduating from single sex schools plan to become engineers.
- Boys in co-ed school scored 37% proficient on a standardized test while their counterparts at all boy schools 86% proficient.
- Girls in single sex schools were more likely to take advanced classes such as advanced math and physics.
- The Australian Council for Education did a six year study with over 270,000 students. They found that boys and girls in single sex schools performed 15 to 22 percentage points higher. The study also found that students in single sex schools were more likely to be better behaved and enjoyed learning more.
2. Go to Mixers
Most single sex schools throw mixers. Find out when the mixers are at your school as well as other schools in the area. Go to those mixers and have fun with your friends. You will likely meet people of the opposite sex this way.
3. Participate in your Passion
Find a group, sport, or club that does the things you like to do and participate. I enjoyed music so I joined choir and the school musicals. I built friendships and had a good time as well as improved my skills.
The great thing about single sex schools, at least mine, was that it is a relaxed environment. There were a lot of opportunities to learn and grow and even have one on one or small group discussions with teachers. And, you don't have to worry about asking dumb questions or saying something wrong.
5. Learn using your Learning Style
Single sex schools are more likely to use the learning styles of the sex they are teaching. For instance, women tend to learn math better with story problems or real world application. Therefore, at an all girls school the math teacher may implement more story problems to reinforce the lesson.
6. Build Great Friendships
Going to school with so many people of the same sex, similar goals and activities allows for a closeness, a camaraderie, and the opportunity to build lifelong friendships.
7. Be Positive
Being positive about any situation will set you up for success. At school and in life the people that are positive about their situation are going to fare better than the people who are negative about them.