ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Evict A Tenant in Oakland California

Updated on June 19, 2013
Eviction Notice
Eviction Notice | Source

Every time we look for a new tenant we have always been very careful on who we rent our property to. Unfortunately, no matter how careful we are, we sometimes run into bad tenants who don't honor their promises and deliberately do damages to our property. If you are a landlord, hopefully you are more lucky than we are, it would be helpful to know your rights and how to exercise them should you face a tenant who hasn't paid rent for months and refuses to move out. Eviction is a more direct way to move a tenant out legally. You can either hire a lawyer or handle the eviction yourself.

Hiring A Lawyer to Evict A Tenant


Hiring a lawyer to evict a tenant can save you time and energy. Well, assuming the lawyer that you hire is a good one. You might feel less frustrated knowing someone is taking care of the headache of getting rid of the bad tenant.


The cost of hiring a lawyer to do the eviction is at least $1,000 for a simple case. If, however, there is court time involved, there will be additional hourly charges for a lawyer to represent you at court.

You will have less control over when to start the eviction process because if the lawyer has lots of cases on hand, he/she may not take your case in as a priority.

Evict A Tenant by Yourself

If you have the time, evicting a tenant by yourself can be faster and could save you money. If your rental property is in Alameda county in California and has met the Good Cause Required for Eviction, here are the steps to take to evict a tenant:

  1. Serve your tenant a Three Days Notice to Quit,
  2. If the tenant is still occupying your property when the Three Days Notice to Quit has expired, go to Self-Help Center at 1225 Fallon St. #250 in Oakland and ask for instructions on eviction. You will receive essential forms to file to the court: SUM-130, UD-100 AND CM-010. You should also receive instructions on how to file out the forms. Or if you prefer, you can find these forms on the internet.
  3. Fill out the forms SUM-130, UD-100 and CM-010 and bring two sets of these forms, one set of the signed lease agreement, Three Days Notice to Quit, any supporting documents, and your check book to the Clerk's Office at René C. Davidson Alameda County Courthouse. The clerk's office doesn't accept credit card and the cost for filing an eviction is $240 as of 2012.
  4. After the clerk gives back the summons, complaints and cover sheet (SUM-130, UD-100 AND CM-010) with the case number on, make a set of copy for yourself to keep and have someone who is 18 or older to serve the original to the tenant. You can hire a professional server if you want. We paid $55 for a professional server for three attempts last time. After the tenant is served, the server needs to fill out a form called PROOF OF SERVICE OF SUMMONS.
  5. If the tenant doesn't respond to the summons within 5 days of service, you then go back to the Clerk Office and request for Entry of Default. Once the Clerk's judgment entered, a Writ of Possession is issued and you can take it to sheriff department for eviction.

I keep my fingers crossed hoping that our tenants are responsible tenants.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)