ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Fight for Your Child's IEP

Updated on October 1, 2016

The Process

If your child attends public school in the United States, whether your child is struggling academically, behaviorally, or both, he/she has the right to be evaluated to determine whether or not he/she is "qualifies" for special services at school (it is important to note that private schools do not necessarily have to abide by these accommodations, but some will abide voluntarily). The catch is that many districts will find as many ways around qualifying students because they simply do not want to pay for them. This ads to the lengthy, difficult process for the parents.

Although the process may vary across states, for the most part, it usually begins with a meeting with the parents, teachers, guidance counselor(s), special education teacher, and possibly, the principal. As the parents, you may request the meeting, or the school may request the meeting, but be aware that this meeting, in itself, is difficult for the school to schedule because it requires the school to gather much of its faculty at the same time. Some districts will hire substitute teachers for this purpose, but some districts will try to find ways around having to pay anyone extra for the meeting, as your child is not the only child who will be having this type of meeting. Once this meeting occurs, the person who requested it will have the opportunity to express why he/she feels an evaluation is necessary. Then, everyone else in the room will have an opportunity to speak to or against the fact that the child may need services. If there is agreement that your child needs to be evaluated, you will have the opportunity to sign, giving your permission for the services. If the school believes your child does not need to be evaluated, you will have the opportunity to sign your agreement with the school. The important thing for you to know here is that you do NOT have to sign to anything with which you are not in agreement (for example, if the school believes your child does not need evaluated, but you know he/she truly needs help, you do not have to sign).

If it was determined, at the meeting, that your child is going to be evaluated, the school has 60 SCHOOL DAYS (at least this is the time period in Pennsylvania) to complete the actual evaluation (summer break does NOT count towards these 60 days). Once the evaluation is complete, the school will (or should) call you to have another meeting, in order to discuss the results. Most likely, if your child scores "below the line," he/she will qualify for special education. Do not be afraid of this. Special education is not the same as it used to be decades ago. This simply means that your child may get to go to the "Resource Room," with the special education teacher, to learn certain subjects in a smaller-group setting, which creates much less frustration for your child. It could also mean that your child will get simplified homework, or be able to take his/her tests one-on-one with a staff member, or in a small-group setting. The accommodations are set on a case-by-case basis, according to the needs of the child that were discussed in the meetings. The trickier part of getting services for your child is when your child scores "right above the line."

The "Right Above the Line" Child

When your child scores "right above the line" on the IEP evaluation, you will be told that your child does not qualify for special education. If you do not speak out at this point, no services will be put in place for your child, so by all means, SPEAK OUT at this moment. If you know your child is desperately struggling, and becoming overly frustrated during school assignments or homework, you MUST state that here. This is your opportunity to suggest a "504 Plan," as they are called in PA, or, at the very least, RTII (Response to Instruction and Intervention) services. It is best to get a 504 plan in place because there is more room to adapt/change it (versus the IEP), but if your child moves to a different district, the new district must also follow the 504 plan (it is the same with the IEP, but the IEP is more difficult to change, to my knowledge), however, if your child does not qualify for a 504, the route of RTII may be the route for you.

When the Evaluation is Complete

When your child's IEP evaluation has been completed, and it has been determined that your child needs some type of services (whether it is an IEP, 504, or RTII), another meeting with you will take place, and you will work with the school to implement specific accommodations/services that will best meet the needs of your child (for example, shortened or simplified homework, a "buddy system" in class to organize assignments, etc). Once these services have been determined and agreed upon, you will, again, have the opportunity to sign your permission (or to sign against the services, depending on your view), and the services will be implemented almost immediately.

Summary of Steps to Take to Fight

  1. Request an "IEP intent to evaluate" meeting with your child's public school.
  2. Attend all of the related meetings.
  3. Express the need at the meeting.
  4. DON'T BACK DOWN!!!!!
  5. Don't sign to the fact that your child DOES NOT need services, if you feel that he/she truly DOES NEED them.
  6. Bring documentation of law and/or any disorders your child may have with you. All of this will benefit your child.

Does your child have an IEP?

See results


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)