- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
How to Get Organized in High School
"What you are will show in what you do" — Thomas Edison
Why Be Organized In High School?
Organization is the key to success in any life pursuit. The ability to lay your hands on the materials and information you need quickly and efficiently saves time and allows your 'To Do' list to be accomplished much faster.
Success in high school also demands organization for optimal success.
- It is important to be on time for each class.
- If your locker is in complete disarray with books, papers, and materials strewn every which way it takes time to find the right binder or notebook for class.
- Only finding one shoe for gym class poses serious consequences for participation.
- Bringing the wrong binder to class may mean you do not have the handouts or materials needed for that day's lesson.
- Leaving class to go retrieve them means missing valuable class time.
Having your home work space organized also is important for school success. One place for all your school materials means that everything is close at hand. Projects, assignments and studying are all so much easier when you do not have to waste time looking for that much needed set of handouts or the textbook with the required questions to be completed for homework that evening.
Consistent habits are also key.
- If you have a particular time set out each day for school work, you can plan other activities around that time.
- It is important to take the time to relax and you will be more effective at even that skill if you stick to a schedule.
Calendar planning can be very helpful in sticking to your routine.
- Keep all school and personal events on a wall calendar at your study space gives you an immediate overview of your obligations in both areas of your life.
- It is so much easier to plan school work around these obligations when they are laid out on your planning calendar.
Keeping your school and personal life is not difficult but is does take discipline and perseverance. Ultimately, your goal in high school will be to attain your personal best in marks but it is also important to take part in school activities that are not scholastic in nature. Happy students who lead a balanced life tend to be so much more successful in school and later on in life.
The Beginnings Of Organization Present
Lots of Space and Comfortable to Carry School Supplies
Keep Your Locker Organized and in Style
Steps To Become Organized For High School
1. Have a planner.
- A paper agenda;
- A cell phone app;
- A wall planner
- Or a combination of the above.
2. Record school-related and personal details so you know what you need to plan around.
- sports practices
- sport games
- doctor's appointments
- other appointments
- project due dates
- test dates
- assignment due dates
3. Have a binder or folder and notebook for each class.
- Color-coordinate the notebook and binder/folder.
- Have a separate color for each subject.
- Your notebook is great for class notes and prevents them from becoming dislodged from a binder.
- Your folder or binder is ideal for hand-outs so they stay organized and in one place for studying.
4. Have a sturdy Backpack.
- Make sure it is roomy enough to hold at least 3 of your subject notebooks plus textbooks.
- Ensure that it is ergonomically designed for the least stress on back and shoulder muscles.
5. Keep your locker organized.
- Have a consistent system for storing notebooks, textbooks, gym clothing, writing materials.
- Having your binders/notebooks color-coded by subject will make grabbing the correct books much easier when in a hurry to get to class.
- Use "Locker Gear" to organize textbooks, notebooks and smaller items such as pencil cases.
- Personalize your locker to make your high school experience a fun one.
6. Establish a home study/work area.
7. Develop consistent/organized work routines.
Be Organized And Be Successful In High School
High school can be an intimidating place when you first begin. It can also be a great source of personal growth and a great deal of fun if you allow yourself a balanced high school life. It is important to keep your grades as high as your ability will allow. Being organized in high school will allow you the flexibility to participate in fun, memorable activities offered in the high school world while giving you the tools to succeed academically as well.