- Education and Science»
- Psychology & Psychiatry
How to Recognize High Sensitivity or HSP - Test Yourself
About Highly Sensitive People
After a party, a meeting or a long phone call you may be tired and keep on 'grinding' on the perceived information for hours. This 'grinding' may be caused because of your high sensitivity - you've received all that information unprocessed and unfiltered.
Highly Sensitive People (HSP) have an advanced set of receivers but lack in many cases a manual how to operate them. You should know how to deal with such beautiful and sophisticated instruments to prevent a system melt down. There are many HSPs that end up depressed or anxious to mix among people.
With their sensitive antennae, they can perceive subtle energies: feelings, moods hanging in the air, they have contact with the invisible - the intangible. There are HSPs who claim to see aura's, gnomes and angels. Well, why not? If we can't see it, it doesn't mean it's not there - like infra-red light, ultrasound, gravity or neutrino's. I never saw a gnome, but it doesn’t mean they don't exist - I just don't know.
For Highly Sensitive People the boundaries between the earthly reality, the supernatural and fantasy is porous. Everything is possible - since it are all imaginations, one large hologram. For them, the question of whether something is true or not, is often irrelevant. The supernatural is for them just as real as the earthly reality that we perceive with our five senses.
The less receptive environment can attempt to reduce, the ability to have contact with the intangible, to something childish. If that happens many HSPs can start to develop two lanyards: an open, giving notice that they're 'normal' and one in secret where they keep in touch with mysteries. In most cases the hidden lanyard will shrivel eventually, as you take the overt lifeline more seriously. And that is understandable but also the loss of something magnificent.
From artists and clergy it has always been accepted they have contact with the supernatural. Many HSPs ended up in those occupations and so was society provided in her minimum requirement for mysteries.
Many HSPs are artists, healers, counsellors, spiritual leaders, teachers and pioneers. Highly Sensitive People who withdrew this important piece of their nature can become shrivelled in a certain way - they live in spiritual, mental and psychological poverty. They become often depressed. This group is improbably large - around 20% of the population is Highly Sensitive.
If they are confirmed as a child in their natural character and were valued for this, they were able to develop their contact with the mysterious as an adults and they're therefore able to deliver their contribution to the creation from that contact.
Einstein said that we can not solve our problems with the same principles in which we created them. Is it not that the ability to create new solutions should be in the hands of people who have contact with the undiscovered? So, release your mind of fear and shame. HSPs who liberated themselves from their own fears - free others automatically by their presence.
In case you're an HSP - learning to love yourself is the most important protection that you can give yourself. If you really love yourself, you are not as susceptible to everything that happens around you or that others are trying to do to you.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Being Highly Sensitive
Many perceptions enter unfiltered
Able to look under the surface
Feeling the emotions of others as if it are own emotions
Good in sensing moods
Too much information can cause blockages
Perceiving much information from their environment
Able to see power relations easily
Able to see hidden agenda's
Perceiving sympathies and antipathies
Knowing things without having explanantions how you know
Knowing what others need
Are You Highly Sensitive?
Prevent From Being Drained
What can you do if you find yourself drained or tired?
- Be honest, say to the other(s) you get tired of the conversation.
- Focus on your respiration.
- Shades trick - you can close the shutters and see how far you want to put them open
- Retrieving your sensors inward is the best solutions, but requires training.
The best advice is - Surrender to your nature.
Test Yourself on HSPview quiz statistics
High sensitivity is a property of the nervous system, in combination with the brains. It probably is an inherited trait, which equally occurs among men and women.
Characteristics of HSPs:
- Are very sensitive to external stimuli.
- Have more difficulty and need more time to process impressions.
- Have a deep and rich inner life - dreams, fantasies and many considerations.
- Feel moods and atmospheres very well.
- Are more than average moved by nature, arts and music.
- Have difficulty in planning and obtaining structure.
- May seem shy but are often far from.
- Function less well if they are observed or evaluated.
- Are often caring and anticipating to the needs of others, but have difficulties in marking boundaries.
- Are relatively more sensitive to stress, tensions and physical symptoms such as headaches, allergies, stomach/intestinal problems, chronic fatigue, etc.
- Are at greater risk of mood swings, depression, anxiety and addictions.
- Sometimes paranormal.
- Don't like to be labeled (sensitive, paranormal, shy, tired).
- Need more time to adapt to their (social) environment.
- Different treatment in youth is often a source of frustrations and tensions.
How To Deal With High Sensitivity
Through awareness and acceptance of one's own high sensitivity, it can turn from a burden into a quality and a gift. This requires at least setting of boundaries, developing the inner strength and to find the right balance between activity and rest.
Ways to deal with High Sensitivity:
- Monitor your limits, they are variable.
- In case of overload - recuperate 3 minutes: exhale all the negativity through the breath.
- Negative people and environments can take all your energy. Avoid them as much as possible.
- Don't complain to others.
- Observe how you're influenced by food and adjust your diet accordingly.
- Make your High Sensitivity your starting point, instead of turning into surviving mode once you're outdoors.
- Create your own world and introduce others (very) selectively with this.
- See that everything happens by itself, surrender in the flow of opportunities.
- Listen to your intuition.
- Say goodbye to everything that is not yours.
- Incorporate the sadness of the past.
- Get started with your creative development.
- Create a place for yourself.
- Let things come from your heart instead of head - there will be more relaxation.
- Live as pure as possible in terms of nutrition, relationships, environment and work.
- Connect only with the right people for you.
- Avoid too many incentives.
- Exercise or sport regularly.
- Meditation is indispensable.
- Discuss sensitivity and need for seclusion with your partner.
- Become stronger from within, don't fortify yourself from the outside.
- Break through limiting patterns.
- Trace your underlying beliefs - your true principles and surrender to it.
- Overcome fears, feel them very conscious. They will dissolve.
- Go to your heart, where you get in touch with the essence of love, strength and confidence.
- Eliminate victim behaviour, accept the way you are.
- Get rid of the admonishing parent (your ego) in yourselve, accept yourself.
- Find a sounding board - a friend, therapist, coach. Speaking out loud is healing.
- Be grounded and present in the now - here lies your greatest strength.
- Learn to trust on your intuition, feelings and inner knowing and commerce to spontaneous ideas and impulses (only if they come from your true inner being).
- Focus on the qualities of high sensitivity: open, pure, sensitive, intuitive, caring, empathy, spontaneity, creativity, resourcefulness and innovative ideas.
Being a Highly Sensitive Person doesn't have to be a hell - it can be a heaven and a virtue if you know how to handle your advanced instruments.
The huge amount of information received through these instruments requires time to process. For this, a HSP needs their own space and time. Take it, confiscate it, no matter the consequences.
The most important thing in daily life is that a HSP sets his own boundaries towards other people. Another important issue is learning how to use the high sensitive perception more selectively - this requires daily training in practice.
© 2014 by Buildreps