How to Select Accredited California Pharmacy Schools
All states require a license to practice pharmacy. They also typically require applicants to first graduate from an accredited pharmacy school before taking the license exams. There are a number of accredited California pharmacy schools.
Accreditation for pharmacist programs at the undergraduate or graduate level is provided by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. As of September 2011, ACPE has accredited 8 schools for pharmacy education. In many states, a pharmacist only needs a bachelor's degree so long as the applicant graduated from a school on the accreditation list. Check with individual state pharmacy boards for local requirements.
Below, you will find a list of ACPE-accredited California pharmacy schools. This list is separated into Northern and Southern California.
1. Loma Linda University has an accredited pharmacy doctorate program. The university is in Loma Linda, CA. Students may reach the school at 909-558-7442. The Loma Linda pharmacy schools is located at West Hall 1316, 11262 Campus Street.
2. The San Diego pharmacy-school representative on this list is the UC-San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. It also awards the PharmD degree. The phone number is 858-534-1366. The school can be visited at 9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0657.
3. The University of Southern California (USC) School of Pharmacy awards both the bachelor's and graduate degrees for future pharmacists. This Los Angeles school is located at 1985 Zonal Avenue. The school's number is 323-442-1369.
4. Pomona is in Los Angeles County. Its Western University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy awards the PharmD degree. The number is 909-469-5581. The address is 309 East Second Street.
1. California Northstate College of Pharmacy is located in Rancho Cordova. It awards the PharmD degree. The phone number is 916-631-8108. The school is in the Sacramento area. It is located at 10811 International Drive in Rancho Cordova.
2. The Touro University California College of Pharmacy also has a doctorate program for pharmacists. This one is located in Vallejo, which is between Oakland and Napa. The school can be reached at 707-638-5266. The address is 1310 Johnson Lane, Mare Island (Vallejo, California).
3. The University of California at San Francisco has its own School of Pharmacy. Students may earn either an accredited pharmacy bachelor's or doctorate degree at this school. The phone number is 415-476-1225. The physical address is 521 Parnassus Avenue, Room C-156.
4. Northern California has another school in Stockton. The University of the Pacific Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences awards both bachelor-level and doctoral degrees. The phone number is 209-946-2410. The address is 3601 Pacific Avenue in Stockton.
ACPE Accredited Programs List