How to prepare and face exams before taking it
How to face exams
Exam time is coming and everyone is getting ready for their board
exams. This is the time of tension and pressure for both parents and
students. I would like to give some advice for the parents as well as
students. Parents needs to keep their cool during these days. They
may tempt to pronounce curse and foolish words when they get angry.
Don't do that. It may stirrer the feelings of your child and he/she
may forget what he studied. This is the time to encourage and build
confidence in them. To make a good environment for the children to
study, parents should remember the following things:
Things to be remembered by Parents:
1. Allow children to close their books and take rest during the long study hours or allow them to watch cartoon for 15 minutes.
2. You should be ready to play, walk or work in the garden with your child, when your child is tired by his studies.
3. Before your child go to the school for exam, pray for him/her and give a kiss.
4. Make sure that your child is reaching the examination hall 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time of exam.
5. Pray for your child when your child is in the examination hall.
Important tip to concentrate your mind on your studies.
Tip to concentrate your mind while studying. Often times you may find yourself reading your book, but your mind is wandering somewhere else. It could be, thinking about your friend, or an incident you may saw in the previous day or anything else. There may be lot of disturbance that will divert your attention from your studies. When you realize that your mind is not there, the do the following steps:
1 Close your eyes for 10 to 15 seconds.
2. Take few deep breaths slowly
3. Empty all thoughts and concentrate only on your breathing. Allow your mind to be calm (remove all other thoughts and make your mind empty)
4. With a fresh attention/mind, continue your studies.
You will find after some time you mind will be wandering around somewhere else. Then repeat the above steps to calm your mind and continue your studies. This is what I practice while studying. It help me to concentrate on my studies for long hours.
Tip for taking notes and writing exam.
One important tip I would like to share with you to make your study easy.
In earlier classes, I used to remember the question answers word by word. There is no need to remember the answer word by word. Repetition and memorization is for robots. You need to understand your material. Just understand the concept and summarize the answer in one word or in few words and remember that.
When you write your exam, you may expand that answer in your own language. It will be easy and reduce your study time. You can easily cover more chapters in this way. It will increase your writing ability. Use small sentences to explain your idea in the answer paper. In board exams, those who are checking your paper will always look for important points of the answer only.
Expand your answer as per the mark given for that answer. If it is a 5 mark question, you elaborate accordingly. If it is 2 mark question, there is no need to elaborate the answer that much. Also keep a watch on the time.
Time Management during the Exam
Before the exam, take a model question paper/previous year question paper and divide the time as per the marks given for each question. For example if you have 2 hours for the exam and the total mark is 50 then you can divide your time accordingly. You will get 2 minutes 40 seconds for one mark.
If there are two 5 marks questions, then you can give 12 minutes for answering each question. If there is one 10 mark question, then you may spent 24 minutes for answering that question. In my case I give 20 minutes for answering the question and give 4 minutes to recheck the answer for any flaws/corrections etc. If it is a 2 mark question then you may spent 5 minutes for that question. If you practice this time management, you will not end up in lack of time in your exam.
Also spare few minutes for rechecking your answer sheet at the end of the exam to correct any spelling/grammar mistakes.
Things to be remembered by the Children.
1. You should study your lessons before the examination. Not on the day of examination.
2. It's better to buy a book which explain "How to study" and learn how to study which will help you a lot.
3. Do not study in the day of examination. Sleep well and take a bath
before you go for exam. You may just look at the short notes prepared
by you. Laugh by reading a joke or looking at a cartoon.
4. Take a good breakfast
5. Make sure that you are having pen, pencil, hall ticket, and other items for the exam before you leave your home.
6. Before starting the exam, got to toilet. Drink a glass of water or eat a chocolate or Cadbury.
7. After the exam do not compare your answers with other children till
the end of all the exams are over. It may discourage you.
8. While studying, if you feel tired, take a walk or play with your
dog or do some skipping or water the plants at the garden. If you are
swatting, take a bath before resuming your studies. Talk to your
parents and laugh or make them laugh.
9. If you are having tension, pray or ask your parents to to pray for you.
10. To reduce tension, play a song and dance according to the tune. A
good dance can reduce tension. If you are not a person of dance, do
some exercise while listening the music.
11. Avoid junk food. Eat fresh fruits or fruit juice which will enhance your capability.
12. You should have a timetable for study, play, sleep, bath, prayer,
food etc. from the time you wake up till you go to sleep. You should
have a timetable for everything.
Best wishes for your exam
- Habits of a Successful student
There are many students out there. But successful students are very few. Many students drop out, just because, they are not successful. So it is very important to be a successful student. Let us look...
© 2010 Neha J