Why the planet needs our help and how we can help it
Why we should help the planet.
I have always had a great amount of respect for Planet, Earth. I am grateful for what I have and don't take it for granted. I always liked spreading the word on how to help the planet and I always liked discussing it because I believe if I could open one person's eyes to reality, then I have accomplished something. I was recently given a chance to write about the issue of Global Warming in my Physical Science course. I learned so much from it, the most important thing that I learned was that this planet is in need of our help. There is speculation on whether or not global warming is indeed truly occurring, however, most evidence has proven that, yes, global warming is real and is happening right now.
Global Warming can be simply defined as the damage that is occurring to the ozone layer by pollutants in the air. We are now experiencing warmer summers and this is because of the fact that the protective layer around the earth is damaged, therefore, more sun is being let into the earth and making it warmer.
Another issue of importance is the buildup of greenhouse gases. These are gases that are being held and trapped inside of the earth. These can be harmful and unneeded chemicals and gases such as carbon dioxide. This all occurs because of the pollutants in the air.
Another piece of proof that global warming exists is the fact that glaciers are now melting, and at a fairly quick pace may I add. Any of us can see this by looking back at old photos of glaciers and looking at the same glaciers now. There is a significant amount of ice gone. Because of this, water is rising. The wildlife around these areas are finding it extremely difficult to live. Polar bears for example are greatly affected because since the glaciers are melting, there is a lack of ice which serves as land for them. Polar bears are left to swim long distances to get from one piece of land to another; this can ultimately cost them their lives. Something must be done.
There is a significant amount of climate change. This can be seen in the warmer weather as well how much stronger storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes have become. This all occurs because the overall planet is changing.
None of these changes have been predicted. This is telling us something, us humans are destroying the planet and we must act now to hinder the effects of Global Warming. We cannot be ignorant to the fact that the planet is changing. It is up to us to make a difference in order for us to help Planet, Earth.
20 Ways to help the environment.
The following are 20 simple ways you can make a difference by helping the planet.
- Recycle-One of the most simplest things you can do to help the planet. This can help reduce the effects of global warming for the simple fact that less trees will be cut down, therefore, less carbon dioxide will occupy the air meaning less damage to the ozone layer. Recycling also reduces air pollution because factories won't be making as many new products. Also, another very important benefit of recycling is the fact that this leads to lesser amounts of garbage in landfills; landfills are filling up very quickly leading to garbage everywhere including ending up in the oceans.
- Plant flowers and plants-It is very important that people plant. Plants absorb unwanted chemicals in the air that are unhealthy for both the earth as well as people.
- Use less electricity-Using less energy means that fuels used to keep things going is redused, therefore, building up less greenhouse gases. This also means that less pollutants will occupy the air.
- Use flourescent lightbulbs-Flourescent lightbulbs use a lot less energy than regular lightbulbs, therefore, resulting in less pollutants in the air and less of a build up of greenhouse gases. Another good aspect of buying flourescent bulbs is that they last a lot longer than regular bulbs. Just be careful when disposing flourescent bulbs for they are filled with mercury and can be harmful to people.
- Buy a hybrid car-Hybrid cars run on electricity and very little gas, therefore, less pollutants from your car will go into the air. Another benefit of hybird cars is the fact that one will save a lot more money on gas.
- Don't use a lot of hot water-Hot water requires a lot of energy to heat up the water. Using cold water will ultimately keep more pollutants out of the air.
- Plant trees-Trees absorb many harmful pollutants in the air as well as carbon dioxide. Another benefit, areas where there are a lot of trees are often cooler because trees offer shade from the sun. Just think about it, more trees, less electricity from air conditioners being used, all ties in together.
- Keep thermostats at a lower temperature-Thermostats use a lot fuel, therefore, it brings us back to the whole pollutants in the air issue. This is another way you can help. Turning your thermostat down at night can help dramatically and saves you money as well.
- Use a low-flow shower head-Regular shower heads let out 5 gallons of water per minute while a low-flow shower head will let out 2.5 gallons in even less time than that. When taking a shower, a whole lot of water is being wasted that is why low-flow shower heads are the way to go.
- Don't waste water-People really tend to take advantage of water these days, leaving water running when not using it, buying huge pools, etc. We are taking the great gift of water for granted. Truth is, we are running out of water, to the point that water will have to be recycled from all different places, including toilets! We need water to survive and plants need water to survive, this isn't something that can just keep flowing and flowing. Water is one of the most vital components of the earth, use it carefully and with respect.
- Reduce the amount of lights on in your home-Lights use lots of energy, evergy that does not need to be wasted. Just ask yourself, if you are in one room of your home, do all the lights in the house really need to be on? Probably not. Just flick the switch and you are making a difference, it's as simple as that.
- Use solar energy-Using solar energy is a natural way to receive energy. Regular lights use lot of electricity while solar energy absorbs light from the sun. For example, when one has lights outside their home, the lights absorb energy from the sun during the day and use that stored energy at night, it's amazing!
- Go vegetarian (even if it's for a day or a week)-Not only is going vegetarian good for the lives of animals, a person's health, and a persons financial situation, but going vegetarian is good for the environment as well! Example, 78 fossil fuels can be used for 1 piece of meat while 1 fossil fuel is used for 1 calorie of beans. Water is used for protein in meats and it ultimately leads to a waste of water. Also, for factory farms, plenty of land is destroyed leading to a lack of trees and soil. Overall, going vegetarian for one day, week, month, year, or a lifetime is a great thing you can do!
- Turn off computers when not using them (especially at night)-Computers use up lots of energy and again, if something is not in use, it does not need to be on.
- Don't use paper or plastic products-Using paper products means trees are being chopped down, lots of trees. This means more carbon dioxide will occupy the air and more people will be exposed to heat. People also should not use plastic products as well because fuels are used to make them and many are filled with chemicals that can be quite harmful.
- Don't run the water while brushing your teeth-This is something that is so simple to do. No one needs to stand there and watch the water run while brushing their teeth. It is a total waste of water, just turn it off.
- Take quick showers-When in the shower, keep in mind that the longer you take in there, the more water is being wasted. Be considerate with water and use it because you have to, not because you want to.
- When shopping, use reusable bags instead of plastic-The use of plastic bags is becoming a big problem these days. Not only are fuels used to make them, but plastic bags are ending up everywhere from the sides of roads to the oceans. Also, plastic bags take a really long time to decompose which means they stay in landfills for a really long time. This can only mean that landfills will become so overfilled with junk that it is very harmful to the overall environment.
- Drive slower-Driving fast requires using more gas. Driving slower reduces the amount of fuels going into the air. Another obvious benefit? Driving slower reduces the chances accidents as well as hitting other people and animals.
- Use less bottled water-As spoken about before, some people who buy bottled water simply dispose of the bottles without recycling them, meaning more garbage in the landfills. Also, the plastic may contain harmful chemicals; these chemicals can be especially harmful when a water bottle is left out in the heat, the bottle melts a bit and, therefore, releases these chemicals.