- Education and Science»
- Colleges & University
How to prepare well and reduce burden for Exams
Giving Exam Is An Art
In the field of academics giving exam is an art that every student needs to master in order to score good marks.
But to most students preparing for exams appears a bouring task.
Thus a proverb rightly says,
"student life is fun life if there were no exams".
Preparing for exam and scoring good mark requires different approach. In this post I will first mention how to prepare well for exam and later give tips to score good marks in exam.
1. Three things to prepare well for exams:
- Designing a study plan.
- Building your determination to study.
- Your work.
2. Four things that make exams a burden.
- Time is short for preparation.
- Syllabus is lengthy.
- Memorising a topic feels like a headache.
- Cannot understand concepts.
3. Tips to score good marks in exam.
Three things to take care before you prepare.
To prepare for exam you need to make a schedule for studies.
The important thing is, Designing the best schedule will be of no use if you cannot maintain it!
Your Determination is key point for maintaining the schedule. Find a strong cause to stay focused.
Once you have prepared your schedule you can proceed for your work. Remember hard work always pays off.
With a planned strategy and good attitude to study in your heart you will definitely have better outcomes in your exams.
The details of the above mentioned points are discussed below:
1. Designing a study plan for exam:
- Designing a study plan or schedule is very much necessary. Think it like designing a battle plan before a war.
- Many people prefer to make a mental schedule and follow it. For this they choose small targets that need to be completed within a given time. But overall preparing a schedule on a chart is better because in this you can be more descriptive on your strategies.
- Check how much time you have in hand before the exam. In case your time is short then you have to manage time between other activities and complete your work. Some call this trick as "stealing time from time" and it is very effective way for time management. It will become clear with the example mentioned below.
Say before the bus arrives you have to wait at a bus station for 10-15 minutes. In order to manage the time you need to utilize those 10 minutes to complete a portion of your work (no matter how small it is). At the end of the day you will be amazed seeing how much time you can save using this trick to get your work finished.
- Check the topics you require to study within limited time. In general it usually takes less time to prepare for topics that you have gone through previously.
- Plan your study timings. Ask yourself what is your best time of the day when you can study nicely and the worst time of the day when you don't feel like studying at all. You can then utilize the mentioned worst time for writing practical or or doing homework which dont require more mental work.
- Design a routine/schedule which has all your required plans listed down along with their timing. But be practical. Don't forget to include the required breaks between the study sessions. (Ideally 5 - 10 min study break is necessary after each hour of study.)
2. Building your Determination to study:
- Next important part to prepare for exam is to get determined to make your plan work. Promise to work according to schedule which you planned.
- If someone interrupts you during that time, learn to tell them that you are studying.
- If a thought is distracting you from studying then write it down on a paper and promise to complete it after finishing your tasks.
Say you need to google something which is unrelated to current studies then just write it down on a paper and promise yourself to not get distracted from using your phone while you are studying. Trust me it really works!
- In case your thought is troubling you too much, only then go and finish it quickly and return back to study.
- No matter you have a 1000 reasons for not studying, search out one reason to study.
- Say out loud to yourself -No, I have to do it! I have to do it! I have to do it! And see what amazing achievements can accomplish.
What is the most common thing that distracts you during studies?
- Preparing for exam requires your good participation.
- Read all the topics in the syllabus (at least all Important ones if not possible). You don’t want a question to appear unfamiliar in the exam hall.
- After understanding a topic the best way to memorize it is by writing it down or take notes. It may appear tiresome but doing so helps to remember the topic well.
- Writing or making notes after understanding it has another important advantage. After a long time when you review the same topics then you will feel more familiar with your own notes as compared to the book.
Four Things that make exam a burden for students
While preparing for exam quite often we face small troubles which eventually become a burden in our preparation. I have listed a few such things below along with their possible solutions which needs to be kept in mind while preparing for exam:
1. Time is short for preparation:
Let’s face it; time is the key to prepare for exams. It’s useless to regret later saying “if I had little more time then I could have done better.”
Solution- Begin the preparation as early as possible. This will help you to face the exam related challenges with more ease. Time is afterall the priceless treasure.
2. The syllabus is lengthy:
Once you have time in your hand to start preparation then the syllabus becomes the problem. student get confused how to deal with a large syllabus.
Solution: The whole syllabus must have some important topics that are often asked in the exam. All you need to do is find out the important topics and then give special importance to those topics while preparing for the whole syllabus.
If you are not sure how to get these important topics then here is what you can do:
a) Either follow the lectures. The teacher usually stresses upon some important topics during the lecture. Those are the ones which often get asked in exams.
b) OR read the syllabus thoroughly. Find out the topics that can be asked in exams by your own. Or you can arrange them from your friends who has gone through the full syllabus once.
3. Memorising a topic feels like a headache.
This is the most common problems faced by students. They freak out when they are not able to understand or memorise a concept. In this stressed situation they skip the topic or simply describe this as bouring topic (despite it being interesting once understood)
Solution: No one asked you to memorize all in one go. Revise a topic twice or thrice and try to understand what it is referring to. Most of the time reading it repeatedly decreases the burden of memorizing the topic.
- Use memory aids to help you in this process. Identify your style of memorizing, whether you can remember well by listening or by visually seeing the topics. Say for e.g. some prefer to hear soft music while reading while others draw diagrams and remember well. Also many like to memorize by walking while reading.
- Select the style you prefer and start the preparation by using it. If you are a good listener then try recording the topics in a recorder and listen it regularly. If you are a visual learner then make flow charts or play cards etc. to memorize with ease.
4. Cannot understand concepts:
- Stay calm, think in the other way around, the world’s toughest topic seems tough at the beginning but once understood it becomes easy as water.
- What you can do is: seek help.
- Seek help from friends or teachers to clarify your doubts. Help always exists.
- Review the topics at repeated intervals till you can make a mental map of them.
- Practice a few problems from those topics. And DONE! your concepts will be clear.
Tips to Get Good Marks In Exam:
It sometimes happens that even after preparing well we perform bad in exams. Let me list a few situations and explain why and when this happens :
1. Avoid Reading late night before exam
This is the most common mistake that causes you to blank out during exams .You cannot recall what you studied the last night due to incomplete sleep. You should sleep earlier than usual the night before exam and wake up after getting a complete sleep. A relaxed mind works better than a tired one.
2. Improve your handwriting:
Consider that you have a bad handwriting, and your examiner isn’t able to understand what you have written. Then all your work will go in vain. A good handwriting on the other hand puts a good impression on the examiner and helps to score well.
3. Length of answer matters.
Length of answer often matters for scoring well in exams. To increase the length you should add the points which otherwise appears obvious to your answer. Write in paragraphs. But more importantly whatever you write, make sure it is correct and rightly synchronized. Don’t let the examiner to put red ink on your sheet except for giving good marks.
4. Check for Grammatical errors:
Make sure to use proper grammar while writing. Otherwise you will end up annoying the examiner and get marks deducted.
5. Examiners familiarity with a topic:
If you write something taken up from a non standard books then despite being correct it may appear unfamiliar to the examiner. For which he will probably give you less marks.
For instance it once happened with me that I wrote a similar looking concept from a standard textbook which belonged from another subject of medicine. The examiner did not miss the chance to deduce some marks despite the concept being a correct one.
So saying that make sure to write relevant points from the textbooks that are commonly followed by your teachers.
6. Quote lines from standard texts:
This especially works if you are dealing literature, philosophy or history. You can "quote" particular sentences mentioned in the standard text books. This helps to score good marks.
7. Time maintenance
Keep a wrist watch along with you in the examination hall. Then know how much time is assigned for the exam and maintain your time accordingly.
And last but not the least-
8. Revise and recheck your answer script.
It is the last thing that must be done before handing over the answer sheet. Revising your answers helps to find out the mistakes that you made while writing your answer. Correct the mistakes and don't forget to underline the important points with pencil that you want to highlight before your examiner.
Following all these steps will definitely help you to score good marks in exams.
I have mentioned the things that I always use for preparing a exam. Especially for the final exams.
I know that the opinion of every student vary. And I feel no shame to admit that some opinions may even be better than mine.
If you liked my article then don't forget to like, share, vote and comment.
Dolet me know if you have any suggestions to prepare well and score good in exams in comments.
What according to you causes exam score to become unsatisfactory?
Thank you to the following photographers for the photos on this Hub, which are published under creative commons licence.
For photograph of writing exam.
Last but not the least
From were all these photos were collected.