- Education and Science
How to shop safely online
I'm sure at one point or another we have all shopped online right? But have you ever checked into what kind of site you were shopping on?
Here are some tips to make your online shopping experience more safe!
1) Make sure the business is legit. For example : If you are going to shop online make sure you are going to do it after you have researched it. Check the comments from other customers who have used the site and look for the BBB symbol. Most online stores will carry it if they are in compliance with set standards. Also make sure that they aren't going to share your personal information with anyone. Find out how long they have been in business as well.
2) Stick with what you know. If you are going to do your shopping online why not stick with the companies you already know? Companies like Walmart, Amazon, Sears etc. Don't trust just any off the wall homemade store.
3)Keep your records! This is key. Most online legit companies will email you a confirmation code or some other refrence of your payment. Keep these, print them out and file them away. They could come in handy later.
4)Be sure to always check your credit card and bank statements.... the minute you notice something out of place contact them immediately!
5) Check the policy held by the store. Check on refunds or returns. also check (like stated in #1) to see how they are going to use your personal information! If an online store says NOTHING about protecting your privacy then shop somewhere else.
6) Look for the padlock. What this means is, if a website you are visiting is secure there should be a little padlock on the bottom of your browser window. (Bet you didn't know that one)
7) Look for an "s" after the usual "http". The added "s" indicates security measures have been taken place and the site is secure.
8) When shopping online try using a pre-paid credit card. It eliminates the hassle of having to worry about your account information.
9)Last but not least...clean your computer often. There is free online software out there at places like www.zonelabs.comthat will give you spyware protection to ensure that the sites you have visited can't put spyware on your computer