Information on home care for H1N1 patients
Humidifiers are relavent option to keep the enviorment cleanClick thumbnail to view full-size
Care for the People with Flu at Home :-
- Keep the sick person in a separate room and away from the common areas of the house.Keep the sickroom door closed.
- pregnant women,children or people who have a delicate health condition such as diabetes, heart disease, asthma, or emphysema should check with their physian about any special care they might need while suffering from this virus. or other flu too .
- Ask your doctor about whether one should take antiviral medications or not, keep oneself aloof from others as far as possible. This precaution is to save others in the family from getting sick.
- Avoid public places like office or school while one is ill stay at home for at least 24 hours after the fever have gone, without the use of a fever reducing medicine,be sure fever does not come back.again, take plenty of liquid ,drink a lot of clear fluids it may be water, broth,electrolyte or any other beverages to keep oneself from being dehydrated.
- cover your mouth and nose while coughing and sneezing. Clean your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub very often and especially after using tissues for coughing or sneezing into your hands.Dispose your used tissue properly to avoid the spread of flu.
- Wash the clothes of the patient and the caretaker with disinfectants
- Linens,utensils, and dishes used by the infected person need to be cleaned separately, but be careful these items should not be shared without washing thoroughly first.
- wear a facemask while looking after the patient and make the patient wear it too – if or when sharing a common place with other household members .,Help prevent, spreading the virus to others. This is especially important if there are children at home as they are at a higher risk of getting contaminated form influenza.
- ,keep changing your and the patient's mask as it may dampen with breath and prove more harmful than beneficial
- Be on high alert & watchful for emergency warning signs ,that might indicate that you need to seek immediate medical help.
- Avoiding travelling.,Influenza infections can lead to or may occur with bacterial infections. some people may need to take antibiotics too.Severe or prolonged illness or illness that seems to reoccur may be an indication that a person has develpoed bacterial infection . Check with your health care provider at the earliest.
- Do not give aspirin ( an acetylsalicylic acid) to children or teenagers who are suffering from the flu, this may cause a rare kind but a serious illness called Reye’s syndrome.
- Check the drug label for over-the-counter cold and flu medications ,to see if they contain aspirin or not.
- Children of 5 years of age or elders and teenagers with the flu should take medicines without aspirin, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol and ibuprofen )Advil, Motrin or Nuprin, to get relieve from the symptoms.
- Avoid giving over the counter medicines to Children below 4 years . First speak to your doctor.
- sick persons should use a separate bathroom. This bathroom should be cleaned daily with disinfectants.
- consideration should be made to maintain good ventilation in the provided household areas to the patient.
- The most safest care taken for children below 2 years of age is use for them a cool-mist humidifier and a suction bulb to help clear away mucus in the patient's throat.
- Avoid re-using disposable face masks and N95 respirators,in case a reusable fabric face mask is used, it should be laundered with normal laundry detergent and tumble-dried in a hot dryer.and disinfected with Dettol.
When do you need to Seek Emergency Medical Care:-
- Get medical care right away if the sick person is at home:and has a difficulty in breathing or suffering from chest pain and purple or blue discoloration could be noticed on the lips
- If the patient is vomiting and unable to keep liquids within itself
- The patient shows signs of dehydration such as dizziness when standing, absence of urination, or in infants, a lack of tears when they cry.
- suffer from flu is less responsive than a normal person and mostly seen becomes confused about his or her condition.