- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
Grammar Lesson: When to Use Its or It's
Should I Use Its or It's
In order to do well on your English tests, and to sound like an educated person when writing online, it's really important that you understand when to use the word "its" and when to use the word "it's". Knowing when to use "it's" or "its" will also help you achieve higher scores and therefore higher earnings when you submit writing samples to a writing site.
It's easy to make a mistake when deciding which word to use, since using logic will give you the wrong answer. If you use logic, since you would use an apostrophe when you write "The car's tires", that you would think that you should use the apostrophe when you say "It's tires." Unfortunately, that is not correct grammar.
The rule of Its vs. It's
In proper grammar, the only time you use the apostrophe is when you are using the shortened form of "it is" and "it has". Otherwise, you do not use the apostrophe.
Contraction is It's
When you use the words it is in their contracted form, it is acceptable to use the word "it's". It's a beautiful day today.
Possessive is Its
When you use the possessive of it, you use the word "its". I can't use the car if its tire is punctured. Luckily, it isn't.
Examples of It's and Its
I believe that it's important to look at examples of sentences that use the words its and it's correctly. Since you've probably seen the words used incorrectly, you may have gotten used to seeing them used incorrectly. When you look at them keeping the rule in mind, you will hopefully begin to remember them in the proper form.
- It's important to use the rule instead of logic when deciding whether to use its or it's.
- The English language can be confusing. Its rules are not always logical.
- It's a beautiful day today. The sun is shining its rays brightly on us.
- It's been a beautiful week.
- The forecaster said it's going to rain tomorrow. I hope the cloud holds off its crying until after my walk.
- It's good that it isn't cold enough to snow.
- This is my first hub on HubPages. I hope its readership is great, and its content is appealing. It's going to be wonderful to read my first comments.
Its vs. It's
It's important to use proper grammar to sound educated and do well on tests. The rule of its vs. it's is a very simple one, even though it defies logical sense. By simply following the rule, you will use proper grammar and avoid irritating your boss and your readers.