- Education and Science
Life 101 - To be a Leader
Be a follower first.
We are born to be leaders. Most of us don’t know how but it’s an innate trait on us to be one.
My experience of being a leader started when I was still a toddler. Through the child’s play or games that we used to play, most of my playmates chose me as their leader.
I don’t know what they saw in me. Maybe, there are qualities that drew them to me. Maybe, my way of thinking or the good values that my parents inculcated in us made me ahead of my peers.
I carried such disposition in life until I was matured enough to decide on what to do with my life.
I admire people in the business world who made big differences in our way of life.
There are various options to be trained as leaders. Consultants, life coaches, advisers undergo rigorous trainings in life in order to be effective motivators to hone leaders in the process.
I've written a hub about Life Coaching and one name stands out. There's Robert Kiyosaki who is very visible in social media networks, like Facebook.
Then, there's Dr. John Maxwell, whose books are inspiring people in all walks of life in order to excel on their own rights.
Great leaders as inspiration
Random thoughts flooded my mind as I painstakingly recall what I studied in school and learned in life on how to be a leader.
In biblical times, the Lord Almighty designated a leader for every generation.
Excluding our original parents, Adam and Eve, their offspring Abel and Cain didn't dealt well. The formers was slain by the latter and then Seth became a fore-bearer of Christianity, Judaism and Islamic ideas and teachings into the world.
Biblical personages, such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses were such an inspiration to me in order to be strong and courageous to be steadfast when holding a position that requires leadership.
I also admire leaders, like British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, US Presidents Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy during the tumultuous times of battling wars around the world.
Leadership can be best tested when the likes of Mahatma Gandhi of India and Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Aung SanSuu Kyi of Myanmar and of course Corazon Aquino of the Philippines advocated a peaceful ways in order to end oppression in their respective countries.
Leadership requires a lot of vision, charisma, constant communication, competence and energy in order to influence people to do goodness.
With what is happening now in the world or just in my country alone, would require a well-rounded leader in order to deal with gargantuan problems mushrooming his/her domain.
Become a leader, read the book.
Condensed Chapters of the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership
The 21 Irrefutable LAWS OF LEADERSHIP by Dr. John C. Maxwell is a no “ivory tower” theory of leadership book. It is loaded with unchanging leadership principles confirmed by the real-world experiences of Dr. Maxwell and the many people he writes about (Zig Ziglar)
1. THE LAW OF THE LID – Leadership Ability determines a person’s Level of Effectiveness
2. THE LAW OF INFLUENCE – The True Measure of Leadership is Influence – Nothing More, Nothing Less
3. THE LAW OF PROCESS – Leadership develops daily, not in a day
4. THE LAW OF NAVIGATION – Anyone can steer the ship but it takes a leader to chart the course
5. THE LAW OF E. F. HUTTON – When the real leader speaks, people listen
6. THE LAW OF SOLID GROUND – Trust if the foundation of leadership
7. THE LAW OF RESPECT – People naturally follow leaders stronger than themselves
8. THE LAW OF INTUITION – Leaders evaluate everything with a leadership bias
9. THE LAW OF MAGNETISM – Who you are is who you attract
10. THE LAW OF CONNECTION – Leaders touch a heart before they are ask for a hand
11. THE LAW OF THE INNER CIRCLE – A leader’s potential is determined by those closest to him
12. THE LAW OF EMPOWERMENT – Only secure leaders give powers to others
13. THE LAW OF REPRODUCTION – It takes a leader to raise up a leader
14. THE LAW OF BUY-IN-People buy into the leader, then the vision
15. THE LAW OF VICTORY – Leaders find a way for the team to win
16. THE LAW OF THE BIG MO – Momentum is a leader’s best friend
17. THE LAW OF PRIORITIES – Leaders understand that activity is not necessarily accomplishment
18. THE LAW OF SACRIFICE – A leader must give up to go up
19. THE LAW OF TIMING – When to lead is as important as what to do and where to go
20. THE LAW OF EXPLOSIVE GROWTH – To add growth, lead followers-to multiply, lead leaders
21. THE LAW OF LEGACY – A leader’s lasting value is measured by succession.
Becoming a leader
Since My childhood days, I was always at the limelight because of the responsibility given to me by my classmates and also my teachers, a leader of my class.
Until now, I am now tasked to lead a business institution.
My job order is to conceptualize the mode of the ins and outs or the transactions in my department.
With lots of suggestions hovering from fellow workers in the institution, I have difficulties straining or deciphering what really is the consensus of everybody.
My adviser suggested that we consult the owner, first of the plans that I want to inject in order for the business to thrive and survive the competition.
True enough, as we seated for brainstorming with the owner of the establishment, I was able to segregate the good points from the bad ones.
My path to success in handling the business, even though I am still neophyte with the rationale of the project, will be cleared with rubbish ideas that can ruin my mission and vision of department.
Be one of the leaders
- What Makes A Person A Leader?
A leader stands out in a crowd; people notice them and want to be around them. They have interesting things to say that people want to hear; talents the public wants to experience.
- Tips on How to Effectively Confront a Boss or Leader
Conflict whether at home or work can be stressful and draining. Conflict can be painful and lead to misunderstanding and separation. Conflict with a leader or boss can be even more stressful because depending on their disposition, confronting your...
- Characteristics of a Good Leader: Leadership Styles...
Strong leadership skills are an important quality to move any business ahead. There are many qualities that make a leader effective. What kind of leader are you?
- The Difference: Leader or Manager? How to Develop th...
Is a manager a LEADER? This question might come to mind when one asks oneself,
- How to Succeed as a Team Leader
An successful leader is successful because his or her team is successful. Learn how to be an effective team leader by following the steps in this hub.
© 2013 Ireno Alcala