Why Litter Is Much More Than Just An Eyesore
Rubbish, trash, garbage, call it what you like, but dropping litter creates more problems and consequences than you could ever imagine.
Please Keep Britain and the Universe Tidy
Aside from crime, litter is one of the most annoying, disgusting and dangerous conditions on our planet.
It's not just our streets and roads that's the problem it's our parks, commons and beaches that are ruined by litter because people are too careless, ignorant or just plain lazy to dispose of their rubbish properly. People who throw litter from cars, bridges or boats have unbelievable consequences to our wild life and nature itself.
One man's junk is NOT another man's treasure when it comes to fly-tipping!
Fly-tippers are like thieves . . .The difference between thieves and Fly-tippers - Thieves will trespass or break into your home or property and steal your prized possessions while Fly-tippers do the same thing except leave their unwanted rubbish.
Flytippers Caught On CCTV
They say it's a dogs life . . . But NOT when you step in dog excrement!
I bet the person who master-minded the well-known phrase "stepping in dog poop brings good luck" is probably of dog owner.
How many times have you stepped in some poop and walked it everywhere ruining everything in your path? Or entered someone's home with dog poop on your shoes?
Litter and the danger of not disposing of litter correctly.
The following items are not just an eyesore but a health hazard. Children, animals and people with severe disabilities. Wheelchair users, people with walking sticks or crutches and the blind all have to navigate their was around the minefield of litter in our streets.
- Chewing Gum: spitting gum on the streets causes damage to the pavement which requires daily professional cleaning, but not if step on it first which is very annoying. It's even worse when I've accidentally sat on some!
- Cigarettes: Throwing cigarette butts have great risks to everyone. Aside from being a fire hazard, the still lighted cigarette butts thrown from cars can end up being blown into another car and land on someone. It could be stepped on and get lodged in between the soles of shoes/boots and who knows where it could end up!? The possibilities are endless.
- Food: Burgers, kebabs and other foods that are discarded on the street have serious consequences. These scraps of food sustain the fast growing population of rats. If you own a dog, they will probably end up eating it with or without your knowledge! I have seen with my own eyes a mother with their child in a buggy having to stop them from leaning out to pick up a half-eaten chip from the street!
- Glass bottles: The discarded glass bottles that are left on the pavements will eventually roll into the gutter and smash. which results in car tires being punctured. They are also used as missiles or offensive weapons on drunken nights out.
- Paper and food wrappers: Some types of plastic wrappers can be more slippery than a banana skin, so when you hear about people slipping and breaking their arms, wrists or hands the person responsible for throwing that wrapper is entirely to blame.
- Plastic Bottles / Bags get caught up in wheels chairs and are quite hazardous, especially for people with severe disabilities such as the blind, people in wheel chairs or those who have to use walking sticks or crutches. They will all find it hard to navigate there way around them. Plastic products end up in the sea and are swallowed by Birds, Fish and marine life which has caused devastating life threatening consequences which has become a global problem due to the plastic particles that humans will end up consuming.
- Spitting in public is disgusting and unnecessary. There is no need for it whatsoever! They don't do it at home so why on the street?
- Tin / Aluminium Cans: The sound of rattling empty cans being kicked around is very annoying. Tin cans should only be heard when they're being disposed of correctly or trailing behind a newly-weds car.
Dogs and children are oblivious to the dangers of litter.! What happens when they walk or fall onto a still-lighted cigarette, chewing gum, food waste or even spit? It's not rocket science to dispose of litter properly. Please help do your bit to educate and publicise the true meaning "why litter is more than just an eyesore".
Space Junk :Some tips can are so huge they can be seen from space
From old satellites to rocket debris, the amount of space junk that's floating around in space is becoming a huge problem. This extremely dangerous junk has already destroyed other working satellites. They could even collide with a passenger aeroplane.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this, but NASA and other organisations are already working on new techniques to propel this junk into the atmosphere to burn up. See video below.
- 30 million tonnes of litter are collected from Britains streets each year.
- 62% of people deliberately drop litter in England.
- 56 million is spent cleaning the gum off city's streets.
- 2.25 million pieces of litter are dropped on the streets of Britain each day.
Make a change. Make a citizens arrest.
Note! Making a citizens arrest or requesting that someone pick up their litter or stopping someone from Fly-tipping (illegal dumping) has consequences! There may be arguments, threatening behaviour or even being assaulted.
- Before asking someone to pick up their litter or remove their Fly-tipping junk, discreetly video or take a photo of them and their vehicle just in case things get out of hand and they decide to make threats of commit violence toward you, or even worse, punch you and take off.
- Photograph the evidence and retain it. Observe anything the perpetrator discards, like a cigarette butt, because it will have the suspect's DNA on it. If you can, take a photograph, video, or take written notes and remember as many details as you can such as their license plate number,what they look like and what they're wearing if you don't have a smart phone.
- Call the police. It's not the crime of the century but it is a disgusting, unnecessary and hazardous violation of the law.