- Education and Science»
- Astronomy & Space Exploration
Mission To Mars: Facts About The Red Planet
Far, Far Away....
Facts about Mars
Growing up when we heard about the planet called Mars, we always automatically thought about aliens or martians. Although there is a lot that we do not know about Mars, there are many undisputed truths that we do know. There has always been a lot of debate about whether there is life on Mars or if there was ever life on the planet at all.
Listed below are a list of facts about Mars.
1. Mars is the fourth planet from the sun.
2. The second smallest planet in the solar system is Mars.
3. Mars is called the "Red Planet" because, the iron oxide gives the planet a red looking appearance.
4. Mars was named after the Roman god of War.
5. Mars has the tallest mountain on a planet and it is called Olympus Mons. (It is three times taller than Mount Everest on earth).
6. The rover space craft known as Curiosity, rolls across the soil of Mars constantly, at a speed of ninety miles per hour.
7. Mars has two natural moons and they orbit very close to the planet.
8. Mars has the deepest valley in the solar system which is called Valles Marineries and it goes six miles deep.
9. Mars is a desert planet that is 1/2 the diameter of earth. However, it does have the same amount of desert that planet Earth has. Mars doesn't have the surface of the planet that would allow for water.
10. Mars is a very cold planet and the average temperature is -80 degrees F.
11. Mars has the largest dust storm in the solar system which sometimes cover the planet for months at a time.
12. The atmosphere in Mars is about ninety five percent carbon dioxide.
13. There is no magnetic field on the red planet.
14. The first space craft to land on Mars was NASA's, Viking 1 and it landed there in 1976.
15. The planet Mars has the highest mountain and the deepest, longest valley in the solar system.
Mission To Mars DVD
Hit Movies Based on the Planet Mars
1. Total Recall (1990)
2. Invaders From Mars (1986)
3. The Day Mars Invaded Earth (1963)
4. Rocketman (1997)
5. Doom (2005)
6. Conquest of Space (1955)
7. Mission To Mars (2000)
8. The Angry Red Planet (1959)
9. Ghosts of Mars (2001)
10. Red Planet (2000)
Have you ever watched a live space shuttle launch?
Planets of Our Solar System
Life on Mars?
Scientists have been studying Mars since the early 19th century. No one is sure if Mars can sustain life but, we are learning more and more every day. There are fresh minds and very smart people on board to find out if there is life out there.
Along with NASA, scientists have been trying to determine if life has ever been on Mars or if life can at least be sustained on Mars.
Originally, astronomers used telescopes to get a closer look at Mars but now, scientists have invented space crafts called Rovers that we actually are able to take to the red planet and that have been able to land on Mars.
One of the main objectives of these Rovers is to find out if there is liquid water on the planet and also if there is any glimpse of life or if life can be sustained there. Some scientists speculate that there were to be life forms on Mars at one time because, the red planet is similar to Earth in so many ways. Truthfully, life on Mars is nearly impossible to imagine because it is completely frozen and covered with radiation.
Russia and America already have space craft on Mars called (Rovers) and they have plans to send many more in the future. These rovers have cameras which snap pictures of the planet, and they also have drills which can reach into the planet's surface to collect samples. The idea is you use a machine instead of a human in case something goes wrong.
Mars is well know for it's rumors of martians and or aliens and the possibility of life on that planet. As technology advances, hopefully we will find out the answer to the question...Is there life on Mars?
My first knowledge of Mars was during elementary school when we had to learn the planets. This was very interesting to me as a young kid because, all I knew about were the sun, moon and earth. Then, there was the ever popular making the solar system for a school project.
We all went to the store and bought the styrofoam balls and made each one a planet. Then we brought them to school and sometimes had to make a speech along with our project. We got markers and made each planet a different color and then we tacked the planets to a poster board and made each planet a different color. This was an easy project for school, as a great way to learn the planets.
Elon Musk has formed a company called SpaceX. He plans to not only take people to Mars but, he promises to colonize the planet and sustain life there. Musk, who is the founder of Tesla, is looking for the best engineers, architects and the best technology money can buy. He bought SpaceX with the intention of not only going to Mars but, exploring other planets as well.
The Surface of Mars
- Best Medical Inventions of the 1930s
This medical hub documents the best inventions from the 1930s. Blood Transfusions, Typhus Vaccine, The First Blood Bank and The Yellow Fever Vaccine are listed in this article with pictures.
- Best Electronic Inventions of the 2000s
Smart phones, I-pads, Segways and Google Glass are just a few technologies that were invented in the 2000s. Picture, videos, polls and other information are documented in this article.
- Top Medical Inventions of The 1960's
This article documents the best medical inventions of the 1960's. CPR, Mumps and Measles Vaccines, Hip Replacements and the Beta Blocker are listed in this hub. Pictures and videos are here as well.
- Remembering Steve Jobs: Inventor and Innovator
This article is about Apple Computer founder Steve Jobs. He brought us the first wave of personal computers as well as the I pod, I phone and I pad. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Best Inventions of the 1980s
This article is about the top inventions of the 1980s. Microsoft Windows, Space Shuttle, Doppler Radar and Apple Computers are documented in this inventions hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Asimo Robot and other Honda Technologies
This article describes some of Honda's top inventions. Cars, vans, motorcycles, Pressure Washers and Garden Tillers are listed in this hub and of course the Honda robot called Asimo.
Mars Rover Curiousity
Life on Mars?
What would we do if there was life on Mars that could be found? I guess if it was a specimen of some kind, it would be subject to all sorts of experiments, if it were to be captured.
© 2013 Buster Johnson