- Education and Science
My First Report
What is HIT?
Health information technology (HIT) supports health information management across systems and exchanges information between consumers, providers, payers, and quality monitors. With widespread use, HIT can be very beneficial to the healthcare industry.
“Widespread use of health IT within the health care industry will improve the quality of health care, prevent medical errors, reduce health care costs, increase administrative efficiencies, decrease paperwork, and expand access to affordable health care” –HHS.gov
OSEHRA VistA combines software to support open source EHR solutions developed by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
What is EHR?
HER stands for Electronic Health Records. This is simply a collection of patient medical history and all data relevant to that patient.
- “Reducing the incidence of medical error by improving the accuracy and clarity of medical records.
- Making the health information available, reducing duplication of tests, reducing delays in treatment, and patients well informed to take better decisions.
- Reducing medical error by improving the accuracy and clarity of medical records-CMS.gov
What is “Open Source” and how is it beneficial to the Health Care Industry?
OSEHRA VistA is licensed under the Apache 2.0 Open Source License meaning the source code for the entire system is available to the public for free.
“Open Source enables adopters to easily obtain the code, use it, improve it, and share enhancements fluidly and freely with the rest of the Open Source Community through OSEHRA. In short, everyone benefits from the collective contributions to the shared code base” -OSEHRA.org
Besides being easy to edit and enhance the system alone, an open source system like this has a lot to offer. Here are some:
- “Lower life cycle cost
- The reliability of a proven solution
- Reduced risk of obsolescence
- The ability to improve your system without waiting for the next proprietary product release
- A dynamic, free platform for development
- For developers and integrators, there a is growing market for installation, customization, and support services” -OSEHRA.org
There are multiple different ways of getting OSEHRA VistA and I am currently working on getting it installed.