Narcissists--a Reprieve from the Doghouse
A Lighthearted Approach, But You Get the Point!
The Road Less Traveled
It may just be me...
What a novel way to begin an article about narcissists. Let's ponder that for a moment.
Alright, moment's up. Let's continue.
It may just be me, but there seems to be a slew of hubs and blog posts and articles and poems and content mill journalism addressing the subject of narcissists (and feel free to liberally fill in your own close cousins here such as narcissism, narcissistic tendencies, narcissistic traits, narcissistic mixes, narcissistic personality disorder, generation of narcissists, and the list goes on ad nauseam).
Every now and then, I'll watch a YouTube video or read a hub, lens, post, magazine or newspaper article, etc., and come away from the experience with a singular thought: Hmm, so that's what it's like to hop on a bandwagon.
As a writer, I'm not inclined to follow either suit or crowd. Where there' s a crowd, there's greater potential for mob mentality. No, give me a road less traveled, thank you, and I shall be content to make my own observations and draw my own conclusions.
It takes courage, conviction, and a commitment to something loftier than going with the flow for me to truly believe I have the potential to be an effective writer.
In the sentence above, I used self pronouns twice. That should draw the ire of those inclined to find narcisstic traits afoot in the writing of moi. I purposefully use the French pronoun because this phenomenon of bashing narcissists, like the business of hunting down vampires and werewolves, isn't limited to any one culture or ethnic group or nation. Otherwise, the limited scope that kind of research would appear to embrace is in itself, arguably, a mark of narcissism.
So here's the rub. Whether or not I possess the persuasive and rousing elocution of a Patrick Henry, Winston Churchill, or F. Lee Bailey, I at least want to be on record as being a Lone Ranger for the express cause of reprieving narcissists from the proverbial doghouse.
A History Without Narcissists
Narcissists dare to think--and act--beyond the box.
Had it not been for narcissists...
- The wheel would not have been invented for eons
- People would still believe that the sun revolves around the earth
- The Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria would have never set sail in a westerly direction from Italy in search of India
- That green stuff on aged bread would never have been considered effective medicine
- Spaghetti would not be a staple in the western world
- The only vehicle in the garage would be a horse and buggy
- Birds would be the only winged inhabitants in the sky
- The moon would never be accessible
- Two geeks in a garage would never have rocked the world with their innovations
- Spam would just be a canned convenience food
- Apple would simply be the daily food that keeps the doctor away
- America would be saluting a Union Jack
- England would be part of Germany
- An upstart Catholic would not have been President of the United States
- Soviets would have successfully transferred nuclear missiles to Cuba
- Women might still be subservient to men
- Gays would still be hidden in closets
- There'd be a thousandfold more homeless people in America
- Hub Pages would be the term applied to apprentices working for a wagon wheel maker
Arts and Culture Without Narcissists
Narcissists are the most brilliant, innovative, and creative people on the face of the earth.
Had it not been for narcissists...
- A silent movie tramp would have floundered into obscurity
- The idea of staging a mock invasion from Mars would have been relegated to the producer's slush pile
- A certain actor would not have become President of the United States of America
- Old Man and the Sea might just be the name of a kindergartener's watercolor painting
- The Call of the Wild might just be someone's hoax 8mm film about a Bigfoot sighting
- Gone With the Wind might just be the results of someone passing gas at a wild college fraternity party
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest would have been just another forgotten manuscript
- The Grapes of Wrath might just be a clever Bohemian colloquialism for California raisins
- Rocky might have just been an apt description for a wannabe writer's life
- Carrie would have been left in the trash can
- A shy young mama's boy might never have gyrated his hips on national TV
- Four lads from Liverpool sporting moptops would never have left their neighborhood dive
- A skinny kid, also from across the pond, would not have strutted like a rooster and sung silly songs about not getting any satisfaction and living on a cloud
- A rock group named after a German dirigible would never have climbed a stairway to heaven
- A group in the USA would never have performed personal essay songs that promoted Americana tales like being a desperado, women with lyin' eyes, and a certain California hotel without any exits
- A young black man would not have spread sunshine by moonwalking
- A certain young preacher in Houston would not have the largest church in America
- The Godfather would just be about some young kid asking if you want mushrooms on your pizza
- Jaws would simply have been a documentary for dental students
- The Graduate would not have had every red-blooded adolescent American boy checking out the neighborhood cougars
- A certain One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest actor would not have had a string of movies in which he excelled at character portrayals by simply playing himself
- A young man would not have shocked the world with his performance of a sadly shortened lifetime as a sardonically grinning comic book villain
- An American-born Iranian would never have invented an online auction site that would become the economic mainstay of millions of people from all over the globe
- The brave people of New York, let alone Americans everywhere, would have lacked the ability to rise from the ashes
- A high school graduate of Punahou on the island of O'ahu would not have had the vision and the audacity of hope to become the first black President of the United States of America
- Social activism would not be promoted and harnessed to benefit the world
- HubPages (and similar literary sites) would not have been invented, funded, and maintained
A Final Word
Look, I realize the stance I've taken is an unpopular one. And it may very well turn off a lot of you that I wrote about this. If so, I respect your opinions and perspectives.
Personally, I have no regrets about writing this. And, no, I did not carry out this project as a consequence of my brain turning into mush from the current 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge. On the contrary, since I am already a contrarian by virtue of this piece, my thoughts could not have appreciated a greater clarity. I have taken my stand on this matter and will firmly stand by it no matter what happens.
In conclusion, I hope we as an embattled remnant of Planet Earth collectively wise up to the fact that compassion goes a lot further than hatred. If you're a believing Christian, you know the last chapter of mankind is a happy one. If you're an atheist, I applaud you your courage and strength in being skeptical. There's still time. If you're a Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Muslim, Wiccan, or whatever faith or denomination you choose to be, I join you in the celebration of the freedom we have as human beings to have a choice at all.
So instead of bashing narcissists or whomever the target group of the day may be, why not emotionally, if not physically, embrace your global brothers and sisters and get to the point of physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual maturity that enables you to see--
We are more alike than we are different.