Pearson Test Of English
PTE (Pearson Test of English)
It’s an exam for people who want to study or live abroad. Its purpose is similar to the IELTS (International Language Testing system) or the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Compared to the IELTS or TOEFL it may be considered a harder exam for most students.
It is a very special exam because the test is graded by a computer for speaking and writing.
They provide you a pen and an erasable noteboard booklet so you can take notes.
As an English test I think it very accurately measures a person’s English ability. However, when I took the exam there were many problems:
1. The headphones where too quiet - In the room there were many people speaking/typing at the same time as I was and it was very difficult to concentrate or even hear the audio being played.
2. They give you used pens - In the IELTS, they give every student a new, unused pencil. They should adopt that idea because my pen ran out during the listening section while I was taking notes.
3. User interface isn't very friendly - Some people accidentally pressed space bar on the keyboard and it skipped to the next question.
4. People were to close to each other and I could hear everything the person was saying. Although the questions that we get a different it is still quite distracting.
5. Ear plugs don’t work - They provide you with ear plugs but most of the time you wouldn't be using them and even if you do use them they don't work very well.
P.S. I took the exam in China