Introvert / Extrovert Personality In Sports Participation
Cyclists in a group
Personality has a key role in sport and exercise
Personality can be described as the sum of the characteristics that make us unique.
It's study helps us to understand how we can interact and work better with other athletes, students and exercisers.
- What Is Personality? And How Can It Be Understood?
Approaches to personality and analysis of how personality is developped.
Extrovert or Introvert Test
Introverts and Extroverts
- Introverts in sport tend to be quiet and contemplative.
- Extroverts are much louder and easily excitable
Introverts tend to like sports which require:
- High levels of concentration
- Precision actions
- Low arousal levels
- Individual sports
- Examples include Golf, Rock Climbing,
- Team sports with interaction
- Fast paced action
- High arousal levels
- Large, simple motor skills
- Low concentration levels
- Examples include Soccer and American Football
Aggression in Sport
Extroverts are often involved with sports that require a high level of aggression. As long as the aggression is controlled it can be seen as a positive
Direct Aggression in sport involves physical contact and aggression towards an opponent. Such as a Rugby tackle and sliding challenge in Soccer.
Indirect Aggression in sport involves taking aggression out of an object such as a Tennis serve.