Celebrating Pi Day 3.14
Celebrate Pi Day - March 14th
Mmmm. Pi Day! The nerdy holiday celebrated by math geeks worldwide. This is the day we gather around to celebrate that amazing little (long) number, pi.
Pi, approximately 3.14159, is the mysterious mathematical constant (number) that represents the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter.
Pi has its day, appropriately, on March 14 (3/14). Often a Pi Day celebration will have an extra special event set for pi minute (at 1:59pm). In the UK, Pi Approximation Day is often celebrated on July 22 (22/7) as 22 divided by 7 is an approximation for pi.
This day brings more fun to math classes around the world then anything else (second only to Math League). I wish you a very Happy Pi Day 2013!
Videos From Pi Day - Pi Day Videos From Last Year
This sand art video in particular is absolutely AMAZING!
PiDay.org - Pi Day Official Website
- Pi Day - The official web site for Pi Day, March 14th
Piday.org is the official web site for March 14th (3.14). Learn about pi, shop for pi t-shirts, share ideas about how to celebrate pi & pi day, enjoy pi-related multimedia, get one million digits of pi, and send pi day eCards. 3.14159265358979323
How Much Pi Do You Know?
How many digits of pi have you memorized?
Amazing Books about Pi
Dive deep into π with one of these great books:
At your Pi Day party check your guests birthdays on Pi Search. The birthday starting closest to the beginning of pi wins!
Fun Ways to Estimate Pi - Quirky Pi Approximation Methods
- How to Calculate Pi by Throwing Frozen Hot Dogs
wikiHow article about How to Calculate Pi by Throwing Frozen Hot Dogs.
- How to Calculate Pi by Firing Cannonballs
Animation of How to Calculate Pi by Firing Cannonballs.
- How to Calculate Pi by measuring round items
Worksheet for calculating Pi by measuring round items. (photo credit)
Send a Free Pi Day eCard - Free Electronic Pi Day Greeting Cards
- Pi Day Grettings from 123Greetings
8 Free Greeting Cards
About Pi Day
The mathematical constant pi is such an amazing number that it certainly deserves a day of it's own. Pi Day is observed on March 14 each year as the calendar date is 3/14 (in America at least). Special Pi Day celebrations and proclamations are made at exactly 1:59:26 PM which is Pi Second (which falls during Pi Minute!).
Pi Approximation Day is another pi holiday. Pi Approximation Day is usually celebrated on July 22. 22/7 is a rough approximation for pi (and in the European date format that is July 22).
Pi can also be celebrated on the 314th day of the year, which is usually November 10th, but November 9th in leap years.
Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi - by Cindy Neuschwander
Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi: The mathematical fairy tale.
When Sir Cumference drinks a potion which turns him into a dragon, his son Radius searches for the magic number known as pi which will restore him to his former shape.
Pi Day Activities - Secant! tangent! cosine! sine! 3.14159! Goooo Pi Day!
Liven up your Pi Day with one of these great activities.
Lose Yourself in the Digits - Pi Day Song
Pi Day Links
- The Exploratorium's 20th Annual Pi Day Celebration
Featuring What is Pi Day? Pi Day Activity Schedule, Pi Day in Second Life, A Short History of Pi, Discovering Pi, Cutting Pi Pi-Ku (haiku), Pi Limericks, ...
- Math Forum: Ask Dr. Math FAQ: About Pi
What is Pi? Who first used Pi? How do you find it? What is it for? How many digits is it?
The Pi Song
(This makes great background music for reading the rest of this page)
Pi Day Songs
Happy Pi Day (to tune "Happy Birthday")
Happy Pi Day to you,
Happy Pi Day to you,
Happy Pi Day, Three Point One Four.
Happy Pi Day to you.
We Wish You a Happy Pi Day (to tune "We Wish You a Merry Christmas")
We wish you a happy Pi Day
We wish you a happy Pi Day
We wish you a happy Pi Day
Because math is fun
Pi digits for you
We cannot ignore
Pi digits never ending
Start with three point one four!
(Photo of Albert Einstein Impersonating Gene Simmons from Kiss)
also happens to be
What to Eat at a Pi Day Party? - Pi Day Foods and Snacks
Any pie will do, but if you can put the symbol pi into the crust of say an apple or cherry pi it is even more festive.
A pizza pie is a great add to a Pi Day party. To go all out, put pepperoni on in the shape of pi.
- Cookies or cupcakes decorated with Pi are great ideas
- Coffee, pie and donuts
A mnemonic for C = pi*d is Coffee Pie Donuts
- Anything else round - It would be best to have all of your refreshments be round to keep the theme going. Donuts, cheerios, M&Ms, ...
More Pi Day Activity Ideas - Things to Do for Pi Day
Here are a few Pi Day activities to make it a great day:
- Make a paper chain out of 10 different colored papers. Choose one color to correspond with each digit, and see how long you can make it.
- Pi Rhythm - Assign each of 10 students a digit. Have the digits of pi visible to everyone. Have students pat there legs in a steady rhythm. Have the students call out their digit when it comes up in the rhythm. Whenever a student messes up, they get "dinged". The person with the least "dings" after a set amount of time wins.
- Compose pi nursery rhymes.
- Hold a Pi Day Run - Plan a 3.14 mile run. Perhaps you could make it a fundraiser.
Do You Celebrate Pi Day?
Have a decorating contest, where everyone decorates a Pi symbol. Let them know that you want more than just simply coloring it, you want it completely decorated, after all, it's Pi Day, and Pi deserves it.
- "Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important." -- Lisa Hoffman
- "Programming graphics in X is like finding the square root of PI using Roman numerals" --Henry Spencer
- "So here we have pi squared, which an engineer would call 10." --Frank King
- "It helps us understand what pi is, not just food." --Robert Toth
- "Pi is not merely the ubiquitous factor in high school geometry problems; it is stitched across the whole tapestry of mathematics, not just geometry's little corner of it. Pi occupies a key place in trigonometry too. It is intimately related to e, and to imaginary numbers. Pi even shows up in the mathematics of probability." --Robert Kanigel
- "Exploring pi is like exploring the universe" -David Chudnovsky
- "Pi is not just a collection of random digits. Pi is a journey; an experience; unless you try to see the natural poetry that exists in pi, you will find it very difficult to learn" --Antranig Basman
400 Digits of Pi
These are the first 400 digits of pi. If you need more, the first 10,000 are listed here.
Mmmm. Do I smell Pi? - A Perfect Gift for Pi Day
As the geekiest cologne on earth, pi is the only thing a true math geek would dream of smelling like on Pi Day!
p = Pi, the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet is today the symbol of the new masculine fragrance by Givenchy. Explore p, explore the universe. Givenchy offers a mystery beyond infinity. The fragrance combines a fresh scent of patchouli and sandalwood.
Ladies, this is a great Pi day gift for that special man in your life!
Learn a little more about this mystical number:
How do I Type the Symbol Pi?
In a word processing program go to Insert-Special Characters
Celebrate Pi in English Class
Pi Day Beyond Math Class
Can't figure out how to celebrate Pi in your English class? How about writing a story where the number of letters in each consecutive word make up pi? You know...first word 3 letters long, second word 1 letter, third word four letters, ...
Him, I love. I exist, amazingly. So absent bliss. All alone. ...
Another great idea is to write your own Pi-ku math poem. Who wouldn't love a Pi Haiku?
Which is cooler? - The Pi or e Debate
The age old debate. Which is cooler pi or e?
At your Pi Day Party, hold a mathematical debate. Assign a person to speak for pi and another to speak for e.
Which is cooler?
Why pi is cooler than e: - Debate points for pi
- the value of pi is bigger
- pi is so special, it only shows under "special symbols" in word processor programs.
- People confuse Euler's Number (e) with Euler's Constant (gamma). There is no confusion with the one and only pi
- e is named after a person, but pi stands for itself
- pi cannot be confused with a hallucinogenic drug
- pi is tasty
- Pi Day rocks! No one cares about e Day.
Why e is cooler than pi: - Debate points for e
- e is easier to spell than pi
- e is on a keyboard, but pi is not
- ln(pi) is an ugly, but ln(e) is 1.
- e is used in calculus while pi is used in baby geometry
- 'e' is the most commonly picked vowel in Wheel of Fortune.
- You don't need to know Greek to be able to use e
- You can't confuse e with a dessert
Mathematician: Pi r squared
Baker: No! Pie are round, cake cornbread are square!
A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are all given identical rubber balls and told to find the volume. They are given anything they want to measure it, and have all the time they need. The mathematician pulls out a measuring tape and records the circumference. He then divides by two times pi to get the radius, cubes that, multiplies by pi again, and then multiplies by four-thirds and thereby calculates the volume. The physicist gets a bucket of water, places 1.00000 gallons of water in the bucket, drops in the ball, and measures the displacement to six significant figures. And the engineer? He writes down the serial number of the ball, and looks it up.
In Alaska, where it gets very cold, pi is only 3.00. As you know, everything shrinks in the cold. They call it Eskimo pi.
What do you get if you divide the circumference of a jack-o-lantern by its diameter?
What do you get when you take the moon and divide its circumference by its diameter? Pi in the sky.
What do you get if you divide the circumference of a bowl of ice cream by its diameter?
Pi a'la mode.
Celebrate Pi Day By Doing What You Love - But Pi Oriented
What's great about Pi Day, is that you can celebrate it doing whatever it is that you love doing. Everyone can make an amazing Pi Day project!
- If you love music, play Pi on a piano or instrument of your choice.
- If you love photography, take your camera to the streets and photograph numbers on buildings and signs in your town and then line them up to Pi. Take single digits, and also try to get some photos of strings of numbers. Then create a display of your photos. Check out this great example: Pi Day to the 36th digit.
- If you love sports, find photos of athletes wearing their numbered jersey's and line them up to represent Pi. Babe Ruth wore #3. That's a great place to start. Then choose an athlete that wore 1 or 14 and continue for the first however many digits of pi you wish to display.
- If you like making movies, create a stop action animation using anything...sand, legos, pencils, soda cans, people, anything.
- If you like acting, write a Pi Day skit and perform it.
- If you like writing, write a Pi poem, or create a false newspaper that includes fake Pi related stories (complete with ads, classifieds, and obituaries).
- If you like cooking, bake a Pi Pie. Another food idea is to use a serving dish shaped like a cylinder, half sphere, or even a cone, and prepare something in it, and display the calculations for the volume of that item. For instance, if you make a trifle in a (which is nearly a cylinder), you can calculate volume with trifle bowlthis equation.
Pi (1998) - Starring: Sean Gullette, Mark Margolis
Max Cohen, played by Sean Gullette, is a mathematician searching for the patterns that exist in the world - in nature, science, society, business - everywhere. However in this low-budget black and white psychological drama, Max is not the only one searching for patterns. Everyone seems to be searching for patterns in order to progress their cause - whether financial, religious, or political. And now, Max has dropped deeply into paranoia.
This is a complex movie, that requires your full attention.
It's not for the light happy Pi Day celebration, but a great watch at night after all the Pi Day celebrations are over.
Pi won the Director's Award at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival.
The Punny Pi Guy
At your Pi Day event, interview a guy with pi symbols stuck all over him. Have all of his answers be pi related - heavy on the puns. It's best when the interviewer gets annoyed at the puns and tries to come up with harder questions (to which Punny Pi Guys always has an answer for).
Q. What's your favorite food?
Q. Other than pie.
A. Pizza pie.
Q. Other than pizza pie.
Q. What's you favorite story?
A. Peter Piper
Q. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A. A Pilot.
Q. Your favorite movie?
A. Pirates of the Caribbean
Al G. Bra's Pi Day Video Collection
This guy truly loves Pi Day, and it shows! If only the whole world had his enthusiasm for math...
Pi In The Bible
Is Pi in the Bible? Well, yes, sort of.
In the description of Solomon's Palace, specifically in the verse I Kings 7:23, the Bible gives the dimensions of a round "molten sea", which is an immense round basin of cast metal. Since it gives enough dimensions, we can work backwards to calculate pi. The Bible says the following:
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it about. (KJV)
The problem that arises is that if you do the math on those figures then pi equals 3, but we know this is not accurate. I believe that since the Bible is not a science book, or a math book, that this error is simply stems from the writer rounding to the nearest cubit.
Visit this site for more information on Pi In The Bible.
Pi Symbol Ice Cube Trays
Frozen H2O Shaped Like Your Favorite Irrational Number
When hosting the Pi Day soirÃ©e at your geek bachelor pad you'll need the proper equipment to ensure success. Square ice cubes just will not do. Round out your party with ice from these super pi ice cube trays
Also check out the ultimate in Pi Day cocktails...the Pi-Tini.
Pizza Pi Cutter
Round pizza pie, round pepperoni. It always made sense to introduce Pi to the meal, and now you can with a Pi Pizza Cutter....a Pizza Pi Cutter. Each Pizza Pi Cutter is two stainless steel blades of cutting power - all harnessed by a space-age plastic Pi. You can fee the power of pi in your hand.
Comes in your choice of three colors: Black, Red, and Lime. Lime is a fancy way of saying green.
Here you can wish everyone a Happy Pi Day, share your Pi Day stories and ideas, and ask any Pi questions.