- Education and Science
How to Prepare for Electrical Competitive PSU exams
Public Sector Units are the industrial units undertaken by Govt of India. Some of the elite companies such as NTPC, BHEL, Power Grid, ONGC, IOCL, HPCIL, SAIL, GAIL, HAL and many other companies plays a significant role in the countries economic development and GDP growth. Therefore they are designated with "Navaratna" and "Maharantna" status.
These companies usually recruit engineers and supervisors once in a year in a pool and recruits in smaller proportions round the year by conducting walk-ins. These companies provides challenges to learn and wide opportunities to grow. The pay offered by these companies will be on par with private industries and also provides many other benefits.
Most of the PSU exams will have objective type written exam followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
Written Exam Preparation:
Written exam consists of Multiple choice questions. Written test will be of the elimination type. Most of the candidates are eliminated in the written test. Questions can be from the technical core discipline (Engineering Subjects), General Awareness and English. Preparation for the General awareness and English will be generic. Brush up the high school grammar books and small General Awareness books
Technical Questions can be asked from the general core engineering subjects.
How to Prepare:
Questions from engineering discipline will have stress on basics and clarity of the subject and will have small numerical problems.
- Practice Previous Engineering Services (IES) objective question papers
- Practice GATE previous questions
- Practice objective questions and small numericals available at the end of the standard text books.
- Practice some model papers available in the market.
Electrical Engineering Competitive Exam Books
Some of the books for preparation are:
- Practice IES and GATE previous papers
- Electrical Objective Question Bank - GALGOTIA publications
- Objective Questions at the back side of the books
- JB Gupta - A Course in Electrical Machines and A Course in Electrical Power Systems
- C.L Wardhwa - Electrical Power Systems
- Bhimbra - Power Electronics
- Sawhney - Electrical Measurements
Concentrate topics related current affairs and some general topics. Practice self talk. Write down some of the ideas of the topic before speaking and speak in an organized manner. Contribute your part in the group and listen to others when they are speaking. Be assertive, don't quarrel when you are in the group. Display leadership qualities.
Personal Interview will be mostly technical. Prepare some basic concepts. Don't try to bluff the interviewer. Be polite and assertive. Prepare for some questions from your Bio-data form. It is encouraging to engage in some industrial training and paper presentations when you are in college. Prepare few basic questions related to your final year project
Hope this tips will help. All the best....!