Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) Level 3-An Overview
This is my journey through the course of preparing me to teach in the lifelong learning sector. I completed this course in 2010, and I do not think much would have changed since then. The rules, policies and procedures should pretty much be the same.
What is the qualification about?
This course covers the basics of teaching for adult education. It trains and educates the candidates on preparing lesson plans, how each session has to be planned and delivered, how to motivate learners by using different methods of teaching and also how to use different types of assessment to come to a conclusion about the candidates level or understanding.
Who is it for?
This course can be taken by anyone without a prior teaching experience or qualification. Also candidates who are already teaching and are interested in gaining an official qualification can undertake this course. Before taking up a place in this qualification, one needs to decide what subject they wish to teach and be aiming to work or qualify in that area.
An overview of the course:
During this course, you will study about the theory and practical areas of teaching. You will have a good knowledge of the principles of learning, the methods of teaching, the different types / reasons of assessments and also the different methods of evaluation. You will be trained how to be confident in the classroom, how to communicate with the students and be guided on how to develop your interpersonal skills. You will also have a thorough knowledge and understanding of your professional role and responsibilities.
This course is a very short course and is covered through various types of sessions. There are fast track courses like finishing in a week and lengthy ones. I attended an evening course which was 3 hours one evening per week and we had 14 such sessions. Candidates learn through training providers and the learning will be based on theory sessions, practical sessions, group discussions and assignments. Each assignment will cover the theory part of teaching and practical skills will be assessed by micro teaching sessions which last up to 30 minutes. Your records of learning will be a teaching practice portfolio that will contain all the assignments and reflective journals.
On completion of this course, one can look into possible jobs as a teaching assistant or learning support assistant or training instructor or a training manager. There are also various other job roles like tutor, assessor etc., that are available for candidates with a PTLLS.
Once you have completed PTLLS you can move on to qualified teaching status by joining the DTLLS or Cert Ed or PGCE, but you need a job in the relevant role to pursue the DTLLS or Cert Ed.
The course structure that I followed is as follows:
Week 1 – Explanation of the course / own role, responsibilities and boundaries of the role
Week 2 – Own role, responsibilities and boundaries of role
Week 3 – Teaching and learning approaches
Week 4 - Session Planning Skills
Week 5 - Inclusive sessions and motivating learners
Week 6 - Assessment methods and record keeping
Week 7 - Individual tutorials and action planning
Week 8 - Individual tutorials and action planning
Week 9 till Week 13 – Micro teaching sessions (This will depend on the number of candidates)
Week 14 – Final session / Individual tutorials
As I had mentioned earlier, assessments are done both Practically and Theoretically.
To complete the theoretical assessments candidates will have to complete the following tasks, and they are marked by the tutor or manager all through the course of the training. Candidates are expected to word process the assignments and use the standard pro formas. The assessments are graded as Pass or Refer.
Assignments below are from my handbook that I received during my course
3. Explain how you could promote inclusion, equality and diversity with your current / future learners, identify other points of referral available to meet the potential needs of learners (200 – 300 words)
5. Explain ways to embed elements of Functional skills in your specialist area (200 – 300 words)
7. State the different assessment methods available and explain the ones you would use for your subject area, including reference to initial assessment. State the types of assessment records you would complete and explain why (300 – 500 words)
These assessments are used to assess candidates taking the practical session. The assessments have to be again written in the correct and standard pro formas. The following tasks are expected to be completed by the candidates, and they are marked all through the course of the program. Again all these assignments should be word processed. The assessments are graded as Pass or Refer.
Assignments below are from my handbook that I received during my course.
- Produce a learning programme / scheme of work in your subject area, for a minimum of six sessions, where the length of the session is to be agreed between yourself and your tutor.
- Produce session plans for a minimum of 30 minutes, as a combination of two 15 minutes sessions or one 30 minutes session for micro-teach or one session of 30 minutes for teaching practice.
- Deliver the micro-teaching practice session, demonstrating a selection of teaching and learning approaches to engage and motivate learners. You need to communicate appropriately and effectively with learners. You must not deliver the same planned session more than once.
- Explain and justify the reasons behind your choice of teaching and learning approaches and use of resources for one of your delivered sessions.
- Obtain feedback from your peers and tutor / observer and complete a self-evaluation to reflect and evaluate the effectiveness of your own teaching. Give feedback to your peers regarding their delivery (applicable to micro-teaching only)
- Complete a reflective journal after each assessment task completed and / or session attended throughout the PTLLS programme (relate to theory assignments).
At the end of the programme, complete a summative profile and action plan.