Sample Lesson Plan (Cha-cha)
Semi-Detailed Lesson Plan
March 4, 2015
I – Objectives:
Within one hour session, the students should be able to:
1. discuss the origin and characteristics of cha-cha-cha;
2. identify the basic steps of cha-cha-cha;
3. perform skilfully with a partner;
4. enjoy performing the cha-cha-cha dance.
II – Subject Matter:
The Cha-Cha-cha Dance, pages 202 - 207, Exploring with MAPEH by Jocelyn V. Bautista, et. al.
III – Instructional Materials:
- Visual aids, speakers, mobile phone (for music)
IV – Procedure:
A. Routinary Matters
Our Father who art in Heaven …
Give us this day our daily bread …
Good Morning everyone!
Who are absent today?
Why is he absent?
Before we are going to proceed to our lesson proper, I want you all to stand up and follow the basic movements I will be executing or performing.
Are you ready?
(Execute some basic steps of Cha-cha with music played on the speakers).
Ask the following questions:
* Do you know those steps?
* Have you followed me well while executing the dance steps?
* Are you familiar with the cha-cha dance?
The steps we have performed a while ago were the basic steps of cha-cha. The Cha-cha Dance is our lesson for today.
Cha-cha-cha is a Latin dance which existed in Cuba. The music is a combination of African and Cuban rhythms blended into a Latin beat. “Cha-cha” was the name of the component bell, that when rubbed produces noise and this bell was used by the Haitians. The cha-cha-cha was actually created from the mambo. Because of the fast and jerky characteristics of the mambo, the audience complained and the orchestras began slowing it down. Cha-cha-cha is a mambo, with jazz and Latin rhythm. It is sensual and energetic dance.
Its rhythm requires very small steps, a chasse or a series of gliding steps. It is danced in 4/4time signature. The count is slow-slow-quick-quick-slow.
(Demonstrate the basic steps of cha-cha and afterwards let the students execute the steps).
* Forward basic step:
1. Step in place 3 times (R, L, R) – 2 cts.
2. Step L forward - 1 ct.
3. Step R in place – 1 ct.
* Backward basic step:
1. Step in place 3 times (L, R, L) – 2 cts.
2. Step R backward – 1 ct.
3. Step L in place – 1 ct.
* Sideward Basic step (Left and Right)
* Crossover (Left and Right)
* The Chasse (Left and Right)
* Cha-cha Hop
* Back Basic Movement * Forward Basic Movement
- Right, Rock Back - Left, Rock Forward
- Left, Rock Forward - Right, Rock Back
- Right, Slide and Close - Left, Side Close
- Right, Side - Left, Side
* Who can synthesize or generalize our lesson for today?
* Do you have any questions? Clarifications?
I will be dividing the class into 4 groups. Then, each group will going to perform in front the basic steps of cha-cha-cha dance including the basic movements (the back and the forward basic movements). Each group will be graded according to the following criteria:
* Mastery of the basic steps – 10 pts.
* Execution and clarity of steps – 10 pts.
* Synchronization with the music –5 pts.
I will give 5 to 10 minutes to practice with your group the basic steps and basic movements of cha-cha-cha dance.
V – Assignment:
(By group) Create combinations on the basic steps and movements of the cha-cha-cha dance. It will be presented next meeting.