- Education and Science»
Scepticism, Knowledge, and Conspiracies
Skepticism is Necessary
In today's world, it is too easy to listen to opinions that masquerade as facts. So the appropriate attitude is to be skeptical. Here are some questions one should always ask when being confronted with "facts."
You can prove that right?
You know this how?
What is your source for this?
How do I know that you are telling the truth?
How do I know that he/she is telling the truth?
Is there a hidden agenda at play here?
Do they stand to make any money from this?
Crazy skepticism is Not Good
In today's world there are a lot of activities that you can stop and wonder if they are true.
Recently, in October 15th, 09, a six year old boy was supposed to have gone up in a helium filled balloon by himself. Later the balloon was found to be empty. Did the jump? Was he swept off his feet by wind and tossed over? It was a tragic story, but later it looked like a hoax. The boy was not up there, and the parents may have been publicity seekers.
The point is that as you look at some events you may be skeptical, which is good, but here are some events in which being skeptical is crazy. These are events in which the overwhelming evidence says one thing and some people still deny that the event can be explained in that way.
The Earth is Flat
1. Wild Theory:The Earth is Flat. Explanation: Even after being shown pictures from space that the earth was round, the flat earthers insisted it was flat like a plate, round and flat.
Franklin Roosevelt knew that Pearl Harbor was to be attacked
2. Wild Theory: Franklin Roosevelt knew about the upcoming Pearl Harbor attack but kept quiet because he wanted to enter the war to help Great Britain. Explanation: The US government was aware of Japan's war like posture, but didn't expect the attack to be so far East. Even the attack on the Phillipeans days later took McCarthur by surprise.
Lee Harvey Oswald did not Act Alone
3.Wild Theory: Lee harvey Oswald did not act alone in assassinating John Kennedy. Explanation: His rifle with his finger prints was found in the Texas Depository building within hours of the assassination, and he was the only employee missing that afternoon in the building when a meeting was called by the police to discuss whether anyone out of the ordinary was in the building that day. The Warren commission report showed that all of the forensic evidence pointed to one rifle and one shooter.
There are no Facts to Support Evolution
4. Wild theory: There are no scientific facts to support evolution. Explanation- after 150 years, there are thousands of scientists in thousands of Universities and colleges around the world that study evolution from a genetic point of view, as well as using the science of bio-chemistry, anthropology, paleontology, microbiology, radiology, geology, amd molecular genetics. Their findings are well publicized and supported.
The US government was behind the fall of the Twin Towers on 9/11
5. Wild Theory: When the twin towers fell on 9/11, the US government had planted explosives around the building and that caused the collapse. Alternatively, the Israelis had commandeered the planes, not terrorists. Explanation: architects and engineers studied how the heat from the burning Jet fuel caused the steel structure to bend and weaken then fall. After the fall in a video published from Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden said that his group, Al - Quida, was behind the terrorist attacks. Who would want to take credit for that except the perpetrator?
The Moon Landing was Staged
6. Wild Theory: The astronauts did not land or walk on the moon, it was staged.Explanation: There were astronauts that walked on the moon, brought back moon rocks and samples. There were astronomical pictures taken from earth that showed where the moon landers were. There continue to this day to be working scientific motion detectors that were placed on the moon by astronauts that scientists use today to calculate the distance the moon is from the earth.
Conspiracies and conspiracy theories, both documented and undocumented, abound in our world. Many of these, even though documented, are only theoretical and not actual fact, and as author Newton states, "some are absurd, transparently ridiculous, or even physically impossible.
- Skepticism Magazine
Skepticism is a provisional approach to claims. It is the application of reason to any and all ideas no sacred cows allowed. In other words, skepticism is a method, not a position.