Gender and Sex Determinants
Many "pseudo-psychologists" with kindergarten level knowledge base have argued that Society determines the Gender of Children during their early years. An interesting warhead that they will Strike with is their heathen idea that Parents and the Society is general forces Boys and Girls in their early childhood to play with Toy Trucks and Barbie Dolls respectively.
This hub is an attempt to illuminate that group with Scientific research on this regard. Hope, they benefit one step towards salvation after reading this.
Little knowledge is dangerous, Yes. But Wrong knowledge is Doom itself!
Among many other factors that satellite our Childhood, Toy preference is biological, not Social. Parents and Society are not responsible (at least, not according to Genealogists.)
Some key points that have to be considered in this regard are these:
1) An individual is born with a certain Sex. Namely-Male or Female. (Let us for sometime forget the existence of the third Sex group. I hope that will not offend anyone.)
2) Birth determines whether an individual is a boy or a girl. That is to say that whether an individual is a Boy or Girl is determined as per biological standards. (Genitals, for instance.)
3) Sex and Gender are different conceptions. (This idea is the basic attitude of this hub.)
4) Gender refers to "behavioral pattern", if I might say so. A person's Sex and Gender can therefore be different. In other words, gender means characteristics. More specifically, Gender is "Sexual Characteristic" and not "Sex."
"Traditionally, gender has referred to grammatical classifications in languages, and sex has referred to the biological classifications to which gender is analogous. For some time, however, anthropologists have used gender to distinguish cultural categories from biological ones: Gender roles are indistinct among the young of this society; the two sexes play together frequently."-Microsoft Encarta Dictionary
5) To say that an individual is a Boy or a Girl is a reference to the person's sex. NOT GENDER. At birth, as mentioned earlier, "a relative, midwife, nurse or physician inspects the genitalia when the baby is delivered, and declares, "it's a girl" or "it's a boy" without the expectation of ambiguity."
6) This "ambiguity" is the later distinction of Gender. Gender is then the reference to whether the individual is Masculine or Feminine. Masculinity and Femininity are, as mentioned earlier, references to "behavioral pattern" or the "Sexual Characteristic" of the subjected individual.
7) A boy is GENERALLY(or usually) found to be Masculine. Very occasionally is it found that a boy is feminine. Similarly, a Girl is (Generally, expected and found to be) feminine and it scarce that a girl is masculine.
8) Let us consider some examples on this regard...(i) Napoleon Bonaparte. Sex-Male. Gender-Masculine. Napoleon was a warrior, an archetype for Strength, Power and Success. All of the above are archetypal masculine attributes.
(ii) Florence Nightingale. Sex-Female. Gender-Feminine. Nightingale, among many others such Mother Teresa, are archetypes of Love, Care, and Motherhood which again is what we expect from a feminine personality.
(iii) Rani Laxmi Bai. Sex-Female. Gender-Masculine. Laxmi Bai, the warrior Queen of Jhansi in India defended her kingdom against the British and died a Warrior in the battlefield. Now, we do not generally expect a female to go to war, not traditionally. I mean, is the ratio between Men and Women in the army same? No. But there are Masculine females, like Laxmi Bai among the few that were or are.
9) According to Jungian Psychology, "In the unconscious of the male, this archetype finds expression as a feminine inner personality: anima; equivalently, in the unconscious of the female it is expressed as a masculine inner personality: animus." The above is a remarkable notion relative to our present topic of discussion.
10) Considering the Jungian concept with concomitant comparison to Genetics, I recall having read in Biology, any many of you too must have read, that there are DOMINANT and RECESSIVE GENES in the human body. Therefore, in Males who are Masculine, the Masculine gene(I dunno which one that it. It remains a question) is dominant. Meanwhile, in Males who are feminine, the Masculine gene(I think) is recessive.
Conclusion:-1) Sex is Biological. So, is Gender.
2) SOCIETY OR PARENTS DO NOT DETERMINE AN INDIVIDUALS GENDER. It is innate, congenital.
3) What society does is the ugly act of INTERFERENCE which is biased towards its own inveterate Preferences.
4) This INTERFERENCE is like nutrition to Social discomfort.
For those subject to social heathenness and brutality, I can only say-
"New blood joins this earth
And quickly he's subdued
Through constant pained disgrace
The young boy learns their rules"
-Metallica, The Unforgiven