- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
Some Random Observation about Weather and Climate
Hail in Yorktown NY
In the many years living in the Northeast of the country, I have experienced many weather related phenomenons. Here are a few observations.
- Mar. 2017
I came to America in 1961 when I was only 10 years old. Where I grew up in Taiwan, a tropical island, I never saw snow. In NYC, during the sixties, we had many snow storms in the winter months. Some have covered the cars parked on the streets. In 1974, I moved to Dutchess county NY to start a career. I lived in the Hudson Valley region ever since. I moved around a few times but always in Hudson Valley region. Now I am retired and living in Westchester County.
The weather in this region is changing all year round. That is one the features I admire. My favorite season is the fall with all the colors and cool breeze. There are 4 distinct seasons here. Spring, where it is wet and everything growing, Summer, where it can get hot at times but for the most part dry and pleasant. Fall, where it is cool and leaves falling and Winter, where it gets below freezing and snow and ice storms at times. We also occasionally get a White Christmas which is always a treat.
It seems to me, the definition of weather is change. From one day to the next, weather is always changing. Some days more dramatic than most.
- Hail the size of a quarter happened in my neighborhood one year- a rare event here.
- A tornado came through one year.
- Early and late snow storms...
- Heat wave with high humidity
- Fog so thick you can't see more than a few feet ahead
- Wind gusts as high as 60 MPH
- Lightning that strike telephone polls and trees...
- Black ice
- Even small earthquakes
- Blizzard so bad you cannot see the road signs.
- Snow drifts that cover a car and up half way of our front door.
Some Odd Things
- Snow always melt faster under a tree.
- Temperature changing by 60 degrees within a short time.
- Snow seems to evaporate instead of melting
- In the heat of summer, standing under a tree is like natural AC
In common observations, I am always surprised about the weather and how rapidly it can change. I remember one time, when I was vacationing near the ocean and it was near sunset. It was pouring rain for about 20 minutes. Suddenly, it just stopped. The sky cleared up and we witnessed a most beautiful sunset along with a rainbow. It all happened within half an hour. It was on the shore near Rhode Island.
© 2017 Jack Lee