Some Surprising Facts You Don't Know about Moammar Ghadafi of Libya: elite Amazon bodyguards, Ukranian nurses, and more
Now that the dictator of Libya, Moammar Ghadafi is dead, all sorts of interesting details have emerged about his life, and there's a lot of juicy tidbits.
I mean, who'd have known that he had a crush on... Condeleeza Rice? (No, I'm NOT joking!)
Here are some interesting facts about this dictator, who had sure lived an interesting life. I hope you enjoy learning about these facts as I had digging them up.
- Ghadafi has a group of female virgin bodyguards, graduated from his special military academy.
- The number of bodyguards vary, but is believed to number two hundred or more
- Ghadafi considers the bodyguards 'empowering' for women in generral
- Yes, they are all virgins, and they swore celibacy (not to marry or to have sex)
- Yes, they all swore an oath to protect him with their lives.
- They train daily in various soldier skills, from guns to hand-to-hand combat to physical training
- Some do wear high heel boots and designer sunglasses, others wear normal boots
- All are supposedly hand-picked by Ghadafi himself.
The Ukrainian Nurses
- Ghadafi is always accompanied by at least one Ukrainian nurse, usually Galyna Kolotnytska (38 years old). In fact, he refuse to travel without her.
- There are at least four Ukrainian nurses. Somehow, Ghadafi don't trust Libyan nurses (but does accept Libyan female bodyguards... weird).
- This fact was among one of the thousands of diplomatic cables leaked by Wikileaks, where Ms. Kolotnytska was described as "voluptuous blonde".
- Another Ukrainian nurse that was identified was Oksana Balinskaya, who wrote a series of articles about her experiences as Ghadafi's nurses for Newsweek. She's 24.
- The nurses swear that Ghadafi never have sex with them. They hated the newspapers that called the nurses "Ghadafi's Harem".
- Oksana said Ghadafi just likes to hire beautiful people (he picked her out of a lineup)
And a few more surprises...
- Apparently has a crush on... Condeleeza Rice... yes, the former American Secretary of State
- Calls Rice his "darling black African woman", after her visit to Tripoli in 2008
- Reportedly gave Rice $200000 worth of gifts during the visit
- Soldiers who stormed Ghadafi's palace reportedly found a photo album full of Rice's photos.
- Refused to travel without his special bullet-resistant tent, which is so heavy it must be carried in a separate transport plane
- Refused to walk up more than 35 steps, hates upper floors and is deathly afraid of elevators.
- Refused to fly more than 8 hours at a time, ALWAYS schedules a rest stop on long trips
- Enjoys horse racing and... flamenco dancing. Made an unscheduled stop in Spain to catch a Flamenco performance.
- Hands out gold watches with his picture to his staff every year, always on September 1st. (And they are worth a bit of money).
I hope you've enjoyed this little expose of Moammar Ghadafi and his secret habits and phobias.