- Education and Science»
Studying Science: Its Processes, Approaches and Strategies
How to develop this skill
- In are activities, making sure that the students can use their five senses. It is very often that the sense of sight is very used so the conclusions are based on what they see.
- It is necessary to include those observations like moving object or those things that can create some changes. They are lucid and clear in gathering some information.
- Provides a variety of materials and objects for the students to take chances, to experience the use their senses.
- For the accurate observation, let them describe by using the numerical description rather than by stating.
- Plan and make some events outside the classroomsince they can experience other observations.
- Stick to statements of what is only to observe like what they see, hear, feel, smell, and touch.
Science is the diamond knowledge of everything. It supplies our mind the best things in this world. It is a subject where it can lead us to learn everything on our own. It brought us to higher forms of learning. This is where we learn how to observe, compare, classify and measure and also we can develop our skills in inferring, predicting, controlling variables, interpreting data and drawing conclusions and generalizations.
The Science Processes
This is highly considered in preparing activities in the lower grades and to higher levels. In this matter, there are instructional characteristics, pedagogical advantages and ways of developing those skills cited above was given a substantial explanation for clear understanding of skills in which the process involves.
This is a process wherein we react by using our five senses, which are the sight, tasting, and touch. It provides an intelligent use of oral of the senses about the nature, objects, and happenings in this world.
All statements that give information learned through the use of the five senses are called observing. Inferences rush to identify, judge, argues, and as a result we formulate.
What are the advantages of developing this skill?
- Students become incisive and keen in gathering data through the use of their senses.
- Their observation is authentic not guessed and hi-or-miss descriptions.
- They are becoming more competent in answering questions.
- Constant use of their five senses makes them easy to get concentration to the lesson.
- They are able to develop their scientific mind.
This is the ability to recognize the similarities and differences of things being observed.
It is considered as science process because the word itself the observations could be accurate and reliable. It is not simply being imagined. Therefore, comparing is objective, only what they see and heard and not what they think it is.
There are some advantages by developing this skill which is: proficiency in rediscovering similarities and differences care in comparing guarantees precision an experiment. It increases their ability to compare and evaluate evidence, and the decisions are based on decrementing ability.
This is a process of grouping or sorting out a number of objects according to observable characteristics. This is where you can be able to classify objects by their characteristics, color, shapes, texture and others by using your five senses. And by with that, you make your learning, easy to gain by observing.
What is the most used human sense in observing surroundings?
This is a process of comparing an unknown quantity to a standard like indicating length, width, and area.
This means that to state an idea that is based on observations. Inference defines as an interpretation or tentative conclusions that are sometimes formed of judgment or evaluation.
This is a process of making a forecast of events being observed. For instance, we predict the weather for the next twenty four hours and that is based on temperature, wind, clouds, and other elements. Thus, we predict based on past and present observations.
7. Controlling variables
A variable is a factor or a condition which affects of which being tested. The variations are classified into:
- Manipulated- this is a factor being changed and varied.
- Constant- this is a factor that keeps on changing.
- Responding- this is a resulting variable or condition.
8. Interpreting data
This is the data collected from a variable in anexperiment should be analyzed well to have a clear and reliable conclusions.
This is classified as a direct approach which requires expertise in operating expensive equipment and material.
e. Project making/constructing
Project making or constructing is a teaching strategy which involves gathering and organizing information about a concept.
- This gives the students an opportunity to show how a principle and law works.
- It serves as a good test of one understands.
- It develops the skills in designing and constructing.
Approaches and Strategies for Science
a. The inquiry approach
This is a way of teaching where the students lead to use investigative process and procedure. This approach is intended to satisfy the curiosity of the students because students nowadays are very sensitive to their surroundings.
b. Problem solving
This is a way of teaching that is after the way a student respond to a puzzling sit.
Problem- this is a condition that needs immediate solution. This can be a question that can be answered.
This is a way of teaching the students where they used investigative techniques and procedures to a given knowledge and information.
- Identification of the problem
- Formulating hypothesis
- Testing hypothesis
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Formulating conclusions
f. Interest learning centers
This is an innovative way of engaging students to satisfy their curiosities by performing activities.
- The center is for the individual opportunities.
- It makes the students be a good observer.
- This is where the student’s interest is the key for effective learning.
g. Visiting community resources
This is teaching strategies that endorse a link between the school and the community.
- This is where the students brought to the educational places where they can gain skills in observing and examining.
- This involves the educational trip that is full of excitement and anticipation for actual learning.
- This is where the students learn how to follow rules and protocol when they are in the important places.
This is a group-oriented methodology which is characterized by a free communication of ideas and information.
- This encourages the students to express their own ideas.
- It develops critical thinking.
- This develops the communication skill.
i. Direct instruction
This is a way of teaching which aims to keep students acquire some basic skills and procedural knowledge. This is describing as “straightforward done in step-by-step fashion”.
- It emphasizes the teaching skills.
- The lesson objectives easily observe.
- This is a form of learning through imitation that are so called “behavioral modeling”.
j. Audio-visual media
This has long been used as a top rated strategy to arouse curiosity.
There are types of media like:
- Instructional materials
- Printed materials
- Models, and mock-ups
- Audio recordings
- Dissecting tools
What are the advantages of developing this skill?
- These media are used to take-off point for planned learning activities.
- Encourage students to manipulate or operate some.
- These technologies give vivid and faster learning due to their accurate and complete presentations.