- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
TOP 10 smallest countries in the world
The number of countries is increasing every year because more and more of them become independent and so we get many new countries. The number of independent countries considers being currently 196. 193 countries are those that are officially members of the United Nations.
Countries have different sizes, but there are quite a few very large countries that are not densely populated. Some countries are very influential, while others are popular for tourism and natural attractions. Today, we shall look at in more detail micro-states. Those are the smallest countries in the world or they are with very small population.
1. Vatican city
- The absolute winner among micro-countries is the Vatican.
- Vatican is the smallest independent country in the world.
- It has an area 0.44 km2.
- It is the smallest by the number of the number of inhabitants too.
- The population is just over 800.
- Vatican City is surrounded by city of Rome.
- Vatican is the most famous for that it is the home of the Pope.
- Despite its small size the Vatican extremely popular tourist destination visited by millions of tourists each year.
- The Vatican has its own telephone system, mail boxes, gardens, radio station, banking system and pharmacy
- The Vatican has Swiss Guard responsible for the personal safety of the pope since 1506th.
- Almost all supplies, including food, water, electricity and gas must be imported.
- There is no income tax and no restrictions on the import or export of resources.
- Their income is from voluntary contributions from more than one billion Roman Catholics worldwide.
- The second smallest country is Monaco.
- It has an area of 1.98 km2 and it is like the Vatican despite the small size very a popular tourist destination.
- The country has a mild Mediterranean climate with an average annual temperature of 16 ° C and about 60 days of rain.
- Monthly average temperatures are in range from 10 °C in January to 24 °C in August.
- It is most famous for Formula 1 races which have been ongoing since 1929.
- Monaco is the most populous country in the world.
- It is home to many rich people who have been moved there because the country has no income tax.
- Most of the population of Monaco is made up of French citizens (almost half); small but significant number of Italians, Swiss and Belgians.
- Most people are Roman Catholics.
- The official language is French.
- The third smallest state is probably less known.
- Nauru is a small island country that lies in the southern part of the Pacific Ocean.
- Its specialty is definitely that it is the only country in the world that does not have an official capital city.
- Country's total area is only 21 km2 and consists of coral islands.
- People there don’t have to pay taxes which had a positive impact on the standard of living of the population.
- After Vatican City it is the second least-populated country.
- They have only 9,378 residents.
- The electricity is free.
- The island was discovered by English captain John Fearne in the year 1789.
- Tuvalu is also an island country.
- It has an area of only 26 km2.
- It is located halfway between Hawaii and Australia.
- The biggest problem of Tuvalu as a country that sea levels are rising because the islands lie on average five meters above sea level and therefore they are threatened that they will soon sink.
- The main income of the distant country is a foreign financial assistance.
- Some of the income they have earned by selling telephone code 900 and an internet domain tv.
5. San Marino
- The following micro-state is San Marino.
- San Marino is surrounded by Italy.
- It has an area of 61 km2.
- It is the oldest country in the world.
- It is also the oldest Republic in the world.
- Liechtenstein is one of the micro-states located in Europe.
- It is an alpine country between Switzerland and Austria with an area of 162 61 km2.
- Liechtenstein is a principality.
- It is known around the world mainly for its banking and tax benefits so that the smallest and richest country.
7. Marshall Islands
- Marshall Islands are a set of 34 islands in the central Pacific Ocean.
- They are mainly interesting because they don’t have strict administrative regulations.
- Marshall Islands are known mainly due to nuclear testing on the islands by the United States of America.
- The islands are extremely beautiful by the pictures and have crystal blue bays and sandy beaches.
8. Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Kitts and Nevis are also islands.
- They have an area of 261 km2 and lies at the crossroads of the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Saint Kitts are also known more formally as Saint Christopher Island.
- For a long time the locals most of the income produced by the sugar but today is an important sector of income also agriculture and banking.
9. The Maldives
- The Maldives is one of the dream destinations.
- Maldives are spread over 300 km2 in the Indian Ocean.
- All together the Maldives consists of more than 2,000 atolls.
- Only 218 islands are inhabited.
10. The Republic of Seychelles
- The Republic of Seychelles is a set of about 115 islands in the Indian Ocean.
- They have total area of 450 km2.
- Seychelles is one of the most popular destinations for honeymoon and they are considered as a dream destination - long, sandy beaches, good food and clean sea.