Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Lesson Plans, Games, and Lessons for Adult Learners
Teach English as a Second Language and never ever worry about where to get ideas on what to instruct non-native English learners.
Yes, many English tutors have gone to teach English as a Second Language without textbooks, relying entirely on free websites that guide them on what, when and how to teach pre-prepared lesson plans.
While many of them do teach English as a Second Language with quality textbooks, they still find out that the textbooks they use do need a little supplementing from free internet resources every now and then.
Free internet resources help them make lessons engaging and suitable to different kinds of learners.
Below is a list of websites with free lesson plans, worksheets and activities that English tutors can use to teach English as a Second Language. While these sites are created for teachers, students can get something from them as well.
Teach English as a Second Language to Adult Learners
Breaking News English
Teach English as a Second Language to adult learners through Breaking News English, a site with lesson plans filled with current news article discussions that are complete with vocabulary tests and questions for discussions.
The site can be used to teach English as a Second Language to intermediate learners although English tutors can simplify the lessons to cater even to beginner learners.
Breaking News English is an excellent resource because of the convenience that it gives to English tutors:
- Its lessons can be easily copied, pasted, reproduced, and given out as handouts to students.
- Its lessons are updated on a regular basis or every three days.
- Its lessons are timely, relevant and based on current events.
- Its lessons are free and of good quality.
- Its lesson scripts are downloadable either as PDF files or Word documents.
- Its listening scripts are downloadable as MP3 files.
- Its lessons are all graded and can be customized according to the varied skills of students.
BBC Learning English
Arguably the best free site that English tutors can use to teach English as Second Language to adult learners is BBC Learning English, a superb internet resource of article discussions about current events.
The articles from the site do come with lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation as well as quizzes that students can take to check how much they have learned about tricky words and expressions.
Perhaps the most interesting part of this site is its section for helping English tutors ingrain practical communication skills in students:
- It has downloadable worksheets that English tutors can use to maximize the Talking Business program, which has audio clips that aim to teach English as a Second Language learners certain business English skills.
- It has activities and worksheets that help tutors discuss the handy “How to…” lesson series.
- It has worksheets on listening and writing activities about world leaders and people who influence the global business community.
- It has downloadable worksheets that tutors can use along with other learning materials under the heading of People and Places as well as Entertainment.
Teach English as a Second Language through Games
An easy-to-use website for tutors who want to teach English as a Second Language in an interesting, stimulating, and challenging way is Armored Penguin, which can make crossword puzzles, word jumbles, and word searches in a click.
Armored Penguin’s readily available puzzles, jumbles, and searches are updated regularly, making them perfect as conversation pieces, starters at the beginning of each English lesson, or fillers used to wrap up a class.
Some of the interesting sections in Armored Penguin that tutors can use to teach English as a Second Language include:
- Bagels – helps tutors teach English as a Second Language through logical thinking
- Crossword – allows tutors to type in words and clues then creates crossword puzzles containing these words
- Fresh Words – helps tutors teach English as a Second Language through word constructions
- Word Match – allows tutors to type in words and clues then creates word match puzzles based on these words
- Word Scrambles – allows tutors to type in words and creates scrambled letters to match pre-set words
- Wordsearch – allows tutors to type in words and then creates word search puzzles containing these words
Talk about knowing how to teach English as a Second Language in a striking and amusing way. Comic Creator helps tutors show students how to visualize their written works in the English language.
At Comic Creator, tutors can lead students to correctly order the events in their articles by way of illustrations, eventually helping them create sequential written pieces.
Each panel at Comic Creator can be personalized with backgrounds, characters and speech bubbles, making it absolutely fun for young and young-at-heart learners of English as a Second Language.
Teach English as a Second Language with Prepared Lesson Plans
On its own a universe of free lesson plans that can be used to teach English as a Second Language, ESL Galaxy offers over 2,000 free, printable, and good-quality worksheets, templates, and activities.
Additions to the site’s cosmic collection of freebies are made almost every other day.
The site is notable for many things:
- It has complete and well thought-out lesson plans.
- It has games that tutors can use to teach English as a Second Language in ways that won’t bore students.
- It has ideas about how to manage a classroom of English learners.
- Its PowerPoint presentations can be downloaded.
- It has writing templates.
A large and well-established site that tutors from across the world use to teach English as a Second Language is TEFL.net,a site that has a bank of free lesson plans, worksheets that can be generated in seconds, exercises, games, and activities for teaching vocabulary, slangs, and grammar.
TEFL.net is also a go-to site for tutors searching for a community of tutors who teach English as a Second Language.
Tutors here can post resumes and job advertisements, join fora, discuss teaching-related issues, access the site’s newsletters, and learn about qualifications to teach English as a Second Language.
Copyright © 2011 Kerlyn Bautista
All Rights Reserved
Helpful and Useful Hubs on Teaching ESL / English as a Second Language
- How to Teach English as a Second Language to Kids (Complete with FREE Lesson Links)
- Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Lessons in Speaking, Writing, Listening and Pronunciation
- Teach English as a Second Language with FREE Grammar and Vocabulary Lessons
- Why Now is the High Time to Teach ESL Courses Online
- Have a TESOL Certification and an International Teaching Career