Ten (More) BEST Things About Being an Only Child, Part 2/2
The Awesomeness of Being An Only Child
I have not yet finished extolling the virtues of being an only child. Only children clearly have the best of all worlds. Only children have broken the mold since they have been born. They are major contributors to society on a whole. More wonderful things about being an only-here we go!
(10) Thinking outside the box. Since you have no siblings constantly giving you input as to how to act and think, you developed into a very independent thinker. You see angles and aspects that very few people are able to see.
(9) You value intellectualism. Of course, your primary objects of interactions were your parents, not other siblings. Parents are adults and have more experience than siblings who are children themselves. Adults impart advanced teachings and knowledge which siblings simply cannot. This is clearly evident in that many only children often have more advanced and broader vocabularies than children with siblings who have more rudimentary vocabularies.
((8) In relation to #9, you spend a lot of your free time pursuing solitary pursuits as opposed to children with siblings who constantly spend time in groups. Many only children love to read and see reading as quite fundamental. Being imaginative, books offer an avenue to dream and escape into another environment. Many only children are quite adept artists and writers e.g. the late Hedy Lamarr was a very accomplished and talented artist in addition to being a renowned actress.
(7) Academic acumen. The average only child is a high academic achiever. Academic and intellectual achievement is strongly stressed in the home environments of only children. Parents put all their hopes, aspirations, and dreams onto their onlies. Studies show that you as one of the birth orders who are more likely to attend college and postgraduate study. Education is highly important to you. Chelsea Clinton, who is a prodigious only child, is currently pursuing a Ph. D. in Health Administration at New York University.
(6) Being highly individualistic. You do not believe in following the crowd. In fact, you detest this highly! You are more of an innovator than a follower!
(5) Your friends are family. You have the knack of meeting different people and form true and lasting friendships. Many only children have familial relationships with their friends. Family does not have to be blood related. The concept of family is love wherever you find it. Charlize Theron, award winning superstar, has a very intense relationship with her friends and value them highly.
(4) You are very sure of what you want and are not afraid to ask for and go after it. You are not a martyr. In fact, you detest martyrs who are too weak and passive to ask for and to go after it.
(3) You usually very expansive in your philosophical lifestyle. You believe in being assertive but are not competitive. You believe that there is enough room in this world for each to be accomplished in their goals if they wish to be. Your motto is you do your thing and I shall do mine.
(2) You can entertain yourself without any problems. You can be alone without much fanfare. You see being alone as second nature. Yes, because as a child, while playing alone, you used your imagination to create other worlds. The average child who is never bored and can entertain himself/herself is an only child. Children with siblings usually HATE being alone as the concept is TOTALLY FOREIGN to them..
(1) You are unique beyond description. Enough said!
Now you have my synopsis on ten MORE great things about being an only child.
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams