Ten Ways You Know That You Are An Only Child In Your Family
You Are MY Life!
Only children are indeed one of a kind. To say that they are unique among birth orders is the understatement of the year. They are the most unique birth order. They are also the freest, most creative, and individualistic of all birth orders. They are first borns like the oldest child in the family. They have many of the characteristics of the oldest child but without many of the onerous responsibilities that oldest children have. Only children are also the most imaginative and independent children around. Here are the ten things indicating that you are the only child!
(1) You can easily be alone without much fanfare. In fact, you RELISH being alone. In your eyes, ALONE is not LONELY! There is a difference! Alone is a good thing! You love your own company! You are quite comfortable pursuing solitary hobbies!
(2) People look at you in pity. Oh poor person, no sisters, no brothers. They pull out the pity party and think that YOU are oh so SAD! Never mind that you are doing fine as it is. At least you do not have to indulge in the regular sibling dynamics such as role playing, gamemanship, rivalry, and upmanship. Yes, thank God indeed!
(3) Your parents are not just parents, they are your companions and friends. Only children often have close, warm, and loving relationships with their parents. You often grow up in an adult environment as opposed to children with siblings. Your parents are often your companions! Your parents are not just parents, they are your truest and trusted friends. You are so lucky. How many children can say that their parents ARE their FRIENDS? Very, very few indeed!
(4) You expected to be the ultimate success. Your parents have all their dreams, hopes, and aspirations on you! You cannot fail, you just cannot! You must succeed! Think about your parents! What would they say if you did not make your MARK? What would they say?
(5) You have infinite privacy and freedom. You are quite the ENVY of your friends who have siblings. You notice that THEY are always at your house to get some respite from their noisy, chaotic, and hectic lives!
(6) You are praised and punished equally. As an only child, you are under watch by your parents. If you do right, you are praised; however, if you do wrong, you are punished. This is equitable treatment. Think about children in multichild families, some children, by virtue of their birth orders, are blamed for the wrongful actions of their siblings while others are never punished, being allowed to get away with everything and anything!
(7) You are ALWAYS your parents' favorite child. As an only child, you are the APPLE of your parents' eyes. You are the cat's meow as to speak. You are the center of your parents universe and YOU know it! You will be LOVED come rain or come shine!
(8) There WILL never be any sibling rivalry! Not ever! You KNOW where you STAND with YOUR PARENTS! It is ALL good!
(9) Your parents can be OVERPROTECTIVE and OVERCONCERNED at times. After all, you are their ONE and ONLY. They do not want anything bad to happen to you! You are their precious jewel and they want only the BEST for you!
(10) Your parents will DELAY your launching process as long as possible. You are their child and they do not want to see you grow up and leave home! However, leave you must- please tell them that you will call and keep in touch! Bon voyage!
Being the only child has its ups and down. The positives include having no sibling rivalry, lots of freedom and privacy. The negatives include having overprotective parents and having all parental hopes of success placed upon you. Well, whatever, that is not so bad. Be glad that your parents adore you and count your infinite blessings. Now, you have my take on the matter!
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams