Ten ways how to save electricity
Automatic Light Timer
Saving Energy And Money
There are a lot of ways we can all save electricity and money, and save a little piece of our planet while doing so.
I know its titled top ten, but im going to walk through a few more ways
1 Replace ALL bulbs in your home with CFL bulbs (the spiral flourescent bulbs) This can save you hundreds of dollars a year as well as reducing your energy used from the power company, which makes you a little more earth friendly!
2 Use less air conditioning when possible, This can be achieved by turning your a/c off when your not home (its a lot easier to cool a home in 30 minutes than to let the air run for 8 hours while your at work)
3 Sleep in the dark and quiet! Just by turning the tv and fan off at night you can save over 100.00 a year!!!!
4 Turn off outside lighting after 1 am, instead of allowing the lights to run for eight or more hours a night.
5 Keep the refrigerator door closed, and adjust the thermostat to keep it cold, but not overly cold, try a med-low setting
6 Adjust your hot water heater down to 110 degrees to save money heating water, also try using as little hot water as possible, washing laundry in cold water, can save you over 200 a year. Also consider using less hot water in the shower by taking a cooler shower or shortening the time your in. You can also insulate your hot water heater, and water lines, to make them more energy efficient!
7 Powered down computers when not in use! This is huge, computers suck a lot of juice, and therefore create a lot of heat, causing your central air to run more often, costing you money all the way around.
8 Do not use small electrical devices for lighting (nightlight) or pest control (device that plugs in and emits a "sound" driving pests out) using these types of devices can raise your electric bill 10-20 dollars a month.
9 Keep windows covered to prevent light from entering the home during the day, solar radiation (sunlight) can be your air conditioners worst enemy. Just by using solar blinds or cutains, or even window tint, you can cut cost's by as much as fifteen percent!
10 Hang dry your denim! Not only does this prolong the life of your jeans, but taking just 10 minutes off of a dry cycle can save you a few bucks, PER LOAD!!!
11 Try using natural lighting when possible through the day, I recommend opening the blinds or cutrains whenever you need light, and closing them when you don't.
Click here to read how to save money on your Water Bill,
In The Kitchen
- Keep your oven door closed and peek through the window.
- Cooking multiple meals at a time can also be helpful
- When possible try using a small skillet on a small burner
- Remember that a slow boil is just as effective as a pot boiling with furry!
- Use a lid when possible to trap heat, and cook food faster
- Use your ovens timer and set it to precise times, and use the left over heat to finish curing your food.
- Try using left over oven heat to warm plates
- During winter months vent left over oven heat into your home to help with your heating costs
- Try using a Toaster Oven when possible to keep electrical use to a minium
- using the microwave to prepare foods in a fraction of the time can cut costs. Also note that using the Microwave to defrost food can be more costly than an overnight thaw in the fridge.