Thanksgiving Math for Kids: Turkey Math Problems, Worksheets, Games, and Printables
Thanksgiving Math Options
This November, change up your standard math routine at school or home with turkey math ideas. Although it may seem silly, using timely materials can increase student interest and motivation. There are a wide variety of Thanksgiving topics that you can incorporate into your curriculum. However, turkeys are a natural choice for many kinds of math lessons.
Many of these math materials are intended for specific grade levels, but it is not difficult to modify most of them for additional grade levels.
Thanksgiving Song for Kids: What are you thankful for? Genki English
This article includes the following math skills.
Addition and Subtraction
Color by Number
Odd and Even
Counting by 1's, 5's, and 10's
Addition and Subtraction
- Label a paper turkey's belly with an addition problem. Students must glue two different colors of feathers to the turkey's body to illustrate the given math problem.
- Label a paper turkey's belly with a single number. Students must write addition and/or subtraction problems that have that number as the answer on the feathers that they glue to the turkey. You can take it one step further and have students include feathers with a picture for the number (i.e. 5 red dots for the number 5) and the word form.
- Write addition problems based on a picture of a turkey. For example, if the turkey has 4 red feathers and 6 blue feathers, the addition problem would be 4 + 6 = 10. Consider turning your turkey math facts into books.
Color by Number
Turkeys have lots of parts, which makes them an ideal choice for a Thanksgiving color by number. Seek out color by numbers with the standard numbers or with addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division problems that students have to solve before they can complete the coloring.
Counting Turkey Roll Game
Have students roll dice to build their turkeys. The teacher who blogged about this idea used candy for the turkey components, but you can customize this any way that you like.
Counting by 2's, 5's, or 10's
Glue paper feathers to turkeys that have numbers on them so students can practice counting by 2's, 5's, or 10's. You can assemble this ahead of time and simply have students practice counting or you can give students additional practice by having them assemble the turkeys and write in the numbers themselves.
Counting to 10
There are so many ways to use turkeys to practice counting skills. Many teachers use the feathers while others opt for manipulatives, such as Unifex cubes, as is featured in the turkey number game linked on the right.
Counting Up the Turkey Parts
- Draw turkey families and then have students fill in sentences about their turkey families, such as: "My turkey family has 10 eyes." or "My turkey family has 30 feathers."
- Alternatively, keep it simple and just count the feathers or have students draw or glue a particular number of feathers on a turkey.
Fact Families: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division
Write in the numbers for the fact family on the turkey's belly. Use one feather for each component of the fact family and attach them to the body. There are a number of ways that you can have students complete this activity, depending on their skill levels.
Teacher Tipster (Odd and Even Boots)
Odd and Even Turkey Game
Download this free turkey game that works on odd and even math skills.
- FREE Turkey Trot math game - SunnyDays - TeachersPayTeachers.com
Turkey Trot primarily practices the concept of odd and even, but there are many ways to differentiate for your students.
Build turkeys out of pattern blocks or create the feathers with pattern blocks. Students can work on colors, shapes, counting, patterns, and much more with this activity.
Thanksgiving Dinner Math Word Problems Powerpoint
You can use turkey pictures or paper turkeys to construct turkey math problems, such as: "This turkey has 2 yellow feathers, 6 white feathers, and 5 purple feathers. How many feathers does the turkey have altogether?" You can also seek out or write your own word problems that are simply about turkeys. If you can't find turkey word problems that fit your students' skill level, look for word problems online that are at the right level you can modify to be about turkeys.
More Thanksgiving Resources for Kids
- Educational Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
Looking for educational Thanksgiving activities for your kids? Read to find 5 fun craft ideas to help teach your kids all about the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Thanksgiving Traditions and Activities for Kids and Families
- Thanksgiving Ideas for Kids
There are many simple and quick crafts and games to do with kids to celebrate Thanksgiving. Included are some examples of turkey crafts and turkey-themed games to get you and your child into the spirit of Thanksgiving.