St. Augustine, Florida - Oldest City In America, Established 1565
First, Oldest, Most
The State of Florida is full of surprises and a lot of the "first", 'biggest", and "only one left" attractions in the USA and the world.
For instance, small herds of scrub cattle are still found in the interior of Central Florida, not far from the 39th Greatest Place to Stand in the USA (www.StoodThere.com) - Kennedy Space Center. Not only that, but the Everglades as a whole is the largest wetlands in the world.
Florida is also the site of the oldest communities settled by the Spanish and French in the New World in the 1500s, long before the British and Germans came aboard.
Great Places to Take Photos
St. Augustine is one of these oldest communities, and ranks as the 37th Greatest Place to Stand in the top one hundred determined by StoodThere.com in a 2009 readers' poll. The city enjoys this status because of its Spanish fort called Castillo de San Marcos (Castle of Saint Mark).
This site is officially known in the national park system as the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument. St. Augustine is the first walled city to have been built in North America and its 450th Anniversary of founding is in 2015, with a year-long celebration planned.
The fortress seen in the image below was renamed for my favorite American Revolutionary war hero, Francis Marion - the Swamp Fox - from 1821 - 1942, as Fort Marion. However, it was then returned to its original name and retains that name to this day.
Fort Matanzas (Fort Slaughters) is a second National Monument in the city that commemorates Spanish rule, but also the Spanish killing of 250 or more French Huguenots at the site. Florida has been governed by several political entities, including Spain and France.
Visit 8635 A1A South, St. Augustine FL 32080.
Amusingly, old meets new in the fact that very nearby the old fort stands Ripley's Believe it or Not Odditorium. How's that for commercial entertainment meeting history? Some of Ripley's findings have serious historical connections as well as entertainment value (I used to read all the Ripley's graphic novels and books as a kid).
Ripley's in St. Augustine opened a pirate's room in the museum and called it Predators of the Sea and it's quite exciting! Authentic costumes - some worn by skeletons - model ships, photographs and etchings, histories, torture devices, and all manner of piratey things that you might not expect. The Ripley museum itself is in a refurbished haunted hotel in which Robert Ripley used to stay on Florida visits.
Another nice find is Anastasia State Park just across the water of Mantanzas Bay from Downtown St. Augustine. It is a about 5 miles in length of undeveloped seahore and woodlands area with beaches and camping that allows for pets. The St. Augustine Lighthouse is nearby and interesting to visit. St. Augustine Beach, Butler Beach, and Crescent Beach are to the south of this area. Beaches and preserves continue down the coast on Highway A1A.
Ripley's Museum Is All About Pirates
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! St. Augustine, FL: Pirates: Predators of the Sea!
Things to See Around St. Augustine
- Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum, Saint Augustine, Florida
Near Castillo de San Marcos. Talk with craftsmen, soldiers, housewives and merchants as they go about their business in this 18th Century Colonial Spanish Town. Call (904)825-6830 for more information.
- Flagler College - Historic Building and Design
Named after the railroad tycoon who brought American rail travel through Florida.
- Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTM Research Reserve) | CAMA | Florida
- The Lightner Museum
Cut glass, Victorian art glass, costumes, furnishings, mechanical musical instruments from the Gilded Age. St. Augusine, Florida. Open daily (closed Christmas).
450th Birthday Anniversary
Business and Job Market - Success and Increases
Business and Job Market
Over 7,000 job vacancies were consistently available in 2016, while 5,500 open jobs were posted for the metro area March through August 2015. That was an increase from 4,900 jobs posted in March 2014, and 3,000 jobs listed during March 2011.
This is a significant consistent increase from 2011 - 2017, with the highest demand jobs listed below.
Anticipated Employment Growth
Fastest growing jobs are expected to be in the following titles:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Physicians Assistants – Includes Nurse Practitioners as PAs
- Electrician’s Helpers
- Cost Estimators – construction
- Plumbers, Plumber’s Helpers and related
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Construction Laborers and Supervisors
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Pharmacy Technicians - In fact, health technologies are offering increasing numbers of jobs overall.
Most Frequently Listed New Jobs
- Truck Drivers with CDL
- Retail Sales Managers, Salespeople, and Cashiers
- Food Service Workers, all levels
- Occupational Therapists, Assistants, and Aides: This includes travel professionals; both full-time and part-time positions available; home care and hospital settings.
- Physical Therapists and Assistants - includes travel nurses and other travel professionals.
- Family Practice Physicians
- Home Health, Ob/Gyn and ER Registered Nurses
- Internal Medicine Physicians
Leading Job Posters
- Adventist Health System and Flagler Hospital - Flagler is a famous name in Florida, the name of the man that brought the railroads to the state. A county is also named for him.
- HCA - Healthcare agency.
- Home Depot
- Appleone - staffing
- Kangaroo Express
- Michaels Arts & Crafts
- Swedish Medical Center
- Taco Bell / Pizza Hut
- BTG, Inc. - healthcare consulting
- Winn-Dixie supermarkets and Bi-Lo Gas (tied)
- Almost Family - Home health services
- Sapphire Technologies
- PETCO; Staples, other
- Johnson & Johnson - healthcare
Education and Training Opportunities
- Flagler College - Located in the former Ponce de Leon Hotel built by Flagler, the railroad magnet, it was founded as co-ed in 1971 (it was a women's college previously). The school offers at least 20 majors (BA, BFA, and Business Administration) and 25 minors and Flagler is a residential college in which faculty and students live on campus and work on community projects as well as academics. The school has won several awards for academics and is recognized for a very successful Study Broad program involving several nations. Athletics include NCAA Division II.
- First Coast Technical College
- Saint Leo University
Earn your Campus or Online Degree from Saint Leo University with classes that fit your schedule. Degree programs in Business, Criminal Justice, & more
- St. Augustine's College
- St. Johns River State College
St. Johns River State College was established in 1958 as a public institution serving Putnam, Clay and St. Johns counties
- University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences
Your Choice for Physical and Occupational Therapy Education. The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is a Physical and Occupational Therapy graduate institution. Our University's mission is the professional development of health care prov
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2011 Patty Inglish MS