- Education and Science
The Empath: Sensing Other People's Emotions
What Is An Empath?
An empath, as the word suggests, is someone who has incredibly high levels of empathy and they therefore cannot help picking up on and sensing the emotions of other people around them.
Empathy is emotional telepathy (Em-pathy) whereas emotion is energy in motion (E-motion). It's literally as though empaths are experiencing other people's emotions while being around them.
Despite the fact that some people believe empaths only exist in science-fiction or that it's a paranormal subject, it's actually a very different phenomenon from mental telepathy.
It's important to distinguish the difference between empathy and telepathy - they are two completely different subjects, although telepathy is present in many animals on Earth, one example being the Mexican freshwater tetra fish.
An empath could be considered to be the direct opposite of a narcissist. Whereas a narcissist has a severe lack of empathy and is only ever attuned to their own emotions and needs, an empath cannot help being attuned to the emotions and needs of other people.
Although some of them may do so, not all empaths necessarily neglect themselves for this reason. Some empaths may go on to develop what is referred to as inverted narcissism, others learn how to live and cope with it.
An empath is described as someone who has an acute or highly developed sense of empathy. Whereas most narcissists are male, most empaths are female although on rare occasions male empaths have also been found.
Female empaths seem to be much better at handling and controlling their "affliction" than male empaths are.
Difference Between Empathy & Telepathy
Empathy is the ability to understand somebody else's situation from their own point of view and to understand how a situation makes them feel and affects them emotionally.
Empaths often find themselves sympathizing with, or feeling the feelings of, many of the people around them.
These people don't necessarily have to say anything to the empath, the empath picks up on their emotions anyway subconsciously and naturally and this can sometimes drive them crazy.
This does not just happen to empaths when they are around people who they already know or only with their own family members, it also happens when surrounded by complete strangers in a public setting and this can often be extremely difficult for an empath to cope with.
The empath is not a mind-reader and does not pick up on other people's feelings, thoughts and emotions simply by knowing what they are thinking. Empathy is, however, the key to psychic awareness.
Instead, empaths naturally and intuitively pick up on the subconscious cues, signals and subtle energies that other people send out (their unconscious communication), which empaths are extremely receptive to.
It has been estimated that our spoken verbal language only accounts for approximately 20% of our communication whilst body language and other forms of unconscious communication make up the remaining 80%. It's true that everything is just energy and energy is always in motion.
Although all of us rely on unconscious communication to a certain extent, it can be difficult for many of us to truly know what a person is really thinking or feeling, or to learn how to read people accurately.
An empath's ability and capacity to pick up on such unconscious communication is highly accentuated and this is something they do completely naturally without ever having to consciously be aware of how they are doing it and without thinking about what they are doing - it just happens naturally, though they don't necessarily always want it to happen and, if inappropriate, this can often cause them great mental anguish.
© 2013 Sparkster Publishing