- Education and Science
History Of The B-26 Martin Marauder
B-26 Martin Marauder
The B-26 Martin Marauder was a twin engine bomber in World War II. Almost 5,300 B-26's were produced for the war between the years of 1941 and 1945 by the Glen L. Martin Company. Each B-26 Martin Marauder cost a little over 100,000 dollars to build.
The B-26 Martin Marauder began its service, for the US in the Pacific theater in 1942. The B-26 Martin Marauder was deployed to Australia and some were sent to Midway. Later in 1943 they began service in the Mediterranean and European theaters. They proved very effective at bombing targets at altitudes above 10,000 feet and well below 20,000 feet. The B-26 Marauder's were also used on D-day.
The B-26 Martin Marauder was powered by two, Pratt and Whitney R-2800 radial engines and had a maximum speed of 287 mph. The B-26 Martin Marauder had a service ceiling of 21,000 feet and a range of 1,150 miles.The B-26 was armed with twelve .50 caliber Browning machine guns and could carry around 4,000 lbs of bombs.
The B-26 can be identified easily by the very pointed-like glass nose, as compared to other aircraft. Because of the design features of the B-26, some pilots claimed it was difficult to fly, especially when landing because the B-26 required a faster landing speed than comparable aircraft. Lesser trained pilots were known to have accidents while landing, and other difficulties, although the B-26's record at the end of the war was said to have suffered the least amount of losses than any other bomber for the U.S.