- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
Medical Tourism In India
When people travel to other countries for obtaining medical treatment it is called Medical Tourism. It is also sometimes referred as Health Tourism. In India, the medical tourism is increasing. It is growing a lot in terms of goodwill and also foreign exchange and in terms of medical treatment too.
Initially, the trend in the Medical Tourism was, people from less developed Countries use to travel to highly developed Countries for major medical centers and to get advanced medical treatment. It was subsequently changed and the trend now is, the people from developed countries are moving to the countries of third World for treatment. Probably, this recent trend is due to medical services at cheaper cost.
Medical Tourism in India
India is now in much demand in the field of Medical Tourism. Many foreigners are flying to India to avail the health services which are much economical and at the same time they are equally good when compared to world class health institutions' services and much effective too.
In the year 2003 a well known consultancy firm estimated – Medical Tourism could earn around 2 billion by the year 2015. Foreign patients from USA and UK and from other countries of West Asia and also South East Asia now are much favoring to avail the health services in India. Most possible reasons for the same are good and quick treatment, pleasing hospitality, low pricing and competitive quality of treatment. For example, a heart bypass surgery in India costs one tenth of the cost of the same surgery in the countries like UK and USA. It is the same with hip replacement surgery also.
Advantages of Medical Tourism in India
There is an interesting fact the medical tourism in India is in demand also because of the Indians living in Abroad. Those Indians living abroad, mostly, prefer quality good treatment and cheaper medical services available in India. Beside, the foreigners too are attracted to benefit the inexpensive and at the same time the good quality medical services in India. The main reasons for the development of Medical Tourism in India can be credited to number of World class private hospitals and highly experienced doctors among whom several have studied their medicine abroad and practiced as well thereon.
It was in the year 1996 this Medical Tourism started and rapidly kept on increasing there from. The main factor for this trend was the patients from foreign are seeking diagnosis and treatment in India along with a holiday package being provided in the country. Further boost for Medical Tourism came with different value added services. Transfers of the foreigners from the airport, special food for them, and providing translators for the foreign patients have much more boosted this area of tourism.
Now let us look at the advantages in brief, about the exact reasons for the development of Medical Tourism in India.
- The first and the foremost reason for this latest trend i.e. boost of Medical Tourism in India is cheaper cost of the treatment.
- The treatment is highly inexpensive and at the same time latest medical technologies are available in India.
- The private hospitals are growing and all are in compliance with international quality standards.
- There is a boost to this industry from the Government. The Government of India has removed or liberalized restrictions on visa for the foreigners who seek medical treatment in India.
- The Medical Tourism field is providing good facilities for the foreign patients and to their near and dear too who accompany with the patient.
- The ambiance, value added services, and other special treatment are simply attracting the foreign patients to avail the medical services in India.
- There is one more good reason the foreign patients are attracted to benefit the medical treatment in India is a holiday package inclusion in the entire package of medical treatment of the foreign patient who wanted to have get medical services in India.
- Recently, there is a new field in Medical Tourism that is gaining demand and that is commercial surrogacy and the same is legal in India.
- There are several other miscellaneous reasons for the constant growth of the Medical Tourism in India. Those reasons include possible internal disturbances in other countries sometimes, other political scenarios, unavailability of proper facilities, also sometimes highly expensive facilities, etc.
- Last but not the least the most important point - the doctors in India are highly qualified, many of them have pursued their medicine and practiced abroad too.
© 2014 Dilip Chandra