- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
The Plight of Teacher Trainees in Ghana-Removal of Allowances
Following the decision of the Ghana government to cancel the Teacher Trainees allowances, it has brought into light the challenges that trainees go through to complete their course to become teachers. Whiles at school I took it upon myself to observe and collect information from other students.These is what I gathered from the grounds at school:
- Many teacher trainees in the country depended on the allowances to pay their fees. Currently, students of the Colleges of Education in the country are facing serious challenges in paying their fees because most of the students are from poor homes.
- What is more worrying is the inability of trainees to afford money to buy books for studies. It appears that students from poor homes in the Colleges are not able to buy books needed for studies. How are they going to succeed in academics without books to study?
- Trainees are compelled by circumstances to go through a lot of emotional trauma as a result of their financial status. This situation is adversely affecting the training of quality teachers for the countries educational sector.
- What is more, the 2015 badge of trainees who are supposed to go for a one year out-program are in the state of confusion. Who will feed them out there? How will they survive in this harsh economy? Many express worry of how they will feed while at the schools teaching for the one year out-program.
The current government will have to revise its decision in order to ensure that the quality of education in the country is not compromised. It is obvious that the state lacks adequate resources to manage its problems and it is without doubt that there is no societal issue that in its solution, education hasn't been part. The standard of quality teachers trained from these institutions is likely to reduce drastically. You will observe that teacher trainees divert more of their attention to trying produce money to pay fees and other problems. The inadequate attention given by trainees to their studies as a result of financial burden also affect their ability to deliver in the classroom.
One may say that there are other facilities trainees can access such as the student loan trust fund and scholarships available. The issue is how accessible are these facilities? I have tried so many times to gain a scholarship program but none has worked for me. Not that i am not a good student but I basically did not get one. Talking about the student loan trust fund, can you pay college semester fee with the amount given you in a semester? The answer is a big no, it helps but not enough to pay for even one semester so how will you buy books.
It will be wise to tackle education more seriously at the Basic School level so that the country does not loose its human resource in the near future. The Teacher Trainee today will be the person to train our children for tomorrows Ghana, so therefore to ensure that Ghana has all the skilled people it needs; the teacher should be trained well.