The Rise of Obesity
"The rise of obesity has placed the health of an entire generation at risk." -Tom Vilsack, Former United States Secretary of Agriculture
The Obesity Crisis
There are around 7.5 billion people on this earth and around 774 million are obese. Since the rise of fast food restaurants like Mcdonalds, KFC, Starbucks, and many other fast food restaurants we've seen a rise in the obesity rate specifically in America. If we don't fix this issue our healthcare system might fall into a deeper hole and more and more people might continue to die too easily preventable problems, obesity.
Obesity Is A Problem
Fat Acceptance groups like "Healthy at every size" dismiss obesity as just a social construct, but if we look at what science tells us obesity does not seem like a social construct. Obesity can lead to and cause type two diabetes, fatty liver disease, sleep apnea, kidney disease, and a baggage of other disease and long-term problems. Not only that, pregnant women that are obese are more likely to have a miscarriage, while the obese women who manage to give birth to babies usually give birth to babies that have a likely hood of developing diabetes and other genetical dysfunction.
- Health Risks of Being Overweight | NIDDK
Discusses links between excess weight and many health conditions. Explains how maintaining a normal weight may help people stay healthy later in life.
How to fix it
The first step to solving any problem is admitting you have a problem try talking to your family members, doctor, a close friend, or anyone you feel comfortable with talking to. Also, try looking at the source of why you are eating so much, it might be due to family problems, work, and many another slue of issues. Now here comes the hard part working to fix that problem, so here are my personal recommendation of fixing it.
Three Steps To Losing Weight
- Try to eat healthily. I am not saying dumb all the Mcdonalds out of your bag but instead, try to slowly remove the amount of fat, sugar, and calories you take in. So for example, if you eat 12 burgers per week try reducing that amount to 11, then 10, then 9, this helps make sure your body can adjust to the different type of food you will be intaking more of like vegetables, fruits, etc..
- The next step to losing weight is reducing the amount of time you spend sitting down. Try going for a walk at least twice a day and don't sit for more than one to three hours.
- Exercise, Exercise, Exercise, I cannot stress this enough, while your diet plays a big role in losing weight siting down and doing nothing will not benfit you and might lengthening the time it takes to lose weight. Its important to note that you should try to find the exercise that right for you and change it up once in a while to avoid boredom.
- Tracking your progress is also a good way of staying on track. Sometimes you might feel like your weight loss journey is not doing too good, tracking your progress allows you to realize that what you are working for is happening and is going to happen.
While losing weight might not be easy for most of us out there trying this step by step helps. Also, remember your family and loved ones are always there for you so if you are mentally in distress try seeking help from your loved ones and family because those people will always love you and comfort you. Hope you succeed in your journey and best of luck.
What to do if you want to help reduce the obesity rate
While it may not be politically correct to call people out on their weight and say they are unhealthy, do it anyway because at the rate the United States is going if we don't stop the obesity crisis the death rate might rise even more. While you shouldn't be overtly rude to the people you are trying to help don't lie to them also. At the end of the day, obesity starts at the house so make sure to also educate your children if you have some. Everyone has hard times but they need someone to sometimes tell them to keep going on, so encourage them any ways you can.