- Education and Science»
- Lesson Plans
The Sense of Touch - Lesson Plan for 4 to 5 Years Old
What is sense of Touch?
Sense of touch is one of the 5 important senses of human being. Thus it is also vital for the young children to learn what is this all about and how it is important for their development. The sense of touch develops before all other types of senses in the embryos, and it is the main way in which infants learn about their environment and bond with other people.
Do you know that our skin the mean sensory organ for touch?
Well, the answer is yes. Skin is the largest organ of the body.
The Sense of Touch
After the lesson, the children will be able to feel things into their skin the sense of touch and understand the concepts of it as one of the 5 human senses.
Recognition and understanding of the objects in their world. It will allow the children to explore their curiosity how to feel things in different ways like when clothes are wet, dry, or soapy.
- Warm water, liquid soap
- Doll clothes, cloths lines
- Basin and towels (basin will be on top of the towel, and there should be enough towels around to avoid mess and accident)
Children will be positioned in one line or two depending on how big is the class. Prepare the materials needed but not the doll clothes.
- Introduce the new lesson “The Sense of Touch”.
- Explain to the children how important it is as one of the five senses of human being.
- Show some colored pictures pertaining to the topic.
- Ask the children how they feel when touching wet or dry things to enhance their interest of the topic.
- Let children gather up the doll clothes in the housekeeping area and educator will gather the rest of the materials and positioned it to them.
- Encourage the children to wash all the clothes.
- First, wash in plain water. Ask them “How does it feel?” “Do the clothes feel different?”
- Next, let the children use liquid soap on them.
- Rinse the clothes. Ask “How do you feel?” Hang the clothes on a line. Ask “How do you feel as they begin to dry?”
- Discuss the different ways the clothes feel, why we wash clothes, why we use soap and why we hang clothes on a clothe line.
Touching objects helps children become familiar with them. It is important to explain the sense of touch to the children because it works together with sight to help them identify and understand objects in their world.