- Education and Science»
- Lesson Plans
The Sense of Touch - Lesson Plan for 4 to 5 Years Old
What is sense of Touch?
Sense of touch is one of the 5 important senses of human being. Thus it is also vital for the young children to learn what is this all about and how it is important for their development. The sense of touch develops before all other types of senses in the embryos, and it is the main way in which infants learn about their environment and bond with other people.
Children uses touch to navigate and explore the things around them, they will feel the pain, warm, cold, etc through touch. Although, child do not fully understand what is touch all about yet they are aware the basic facts that sens of touch is very important for development.
Do you know that our skin is the mean sensory organ for touch?
Well, the answer is yes because our skin is the largest organ of the body.
The Sense of Touch
After the lesson, the children will be able to feel things into their skin the sense of touch and understand the concepts of touch as one of the 5 human senses.
- Pre-requisite Skills:
Recognition and understanding of the objects around them through touch. It will allow the children to explore their curiosity how to feel things in different ways like when clothes are wet, dry, or soapy.
- Materials Needed:
- Warm water
- liquid soap
- Doll clothes
- Cloth lines
- Classroom Dynamics:
Children will be positioned in one line or two depending on how big is the class. Prepare the materials needed but not the doll clothes.
- Introduce the new lesson “The Sense of Touch”.
- Explain to the children the sense of touch and how it is important to human being as one of the five senses.
- Show some colored pictures pertaining to the topic.
- The children can ask question concerning the topic before they can start the activity.
- Give enough information and sources preferably pictures to help them understand the nature of touch.
- After performing the first step of the activity, pause and start asking the children how it feels like.
- Ask the children how they feel when touching wet or dry things to enhance their interest of the topic.
- Reinforcement Activity:
- Let children gather up the doll clothes in the housekeeping area and educator will gather the rest of the materials and positioned it to them.
- Encourage the children to wash all the clothes.
- First, wash in plain water. Ask them “How does it feel?” “Do the clothes feel different?”
- Next, let the children use liquid soap on them.
- Rinse the clothes. Ask “How do you feel?” Hang the clothes on a line. Ask “How do you feel as they begin to dry?”
- Discuss the different ways the clothes feel, why we wash clothes, why we use soap and why we hang clothes on a clothe line.
Basin will be on top of the towel, and there should be enough towels around to avoid mess and accident)
Activity Developmental Focus
Touching objects helps children become familiar with them. It is important to explain the sense of touch to the children because it works together with sight to help them identify and understand objects in their world.
The Importance of Touch
Sensory skills or touch develops as soon as the child is born, this is the first senses that will develop rapidly. Touch is very essential as the child learns in different perspective of the environment and this sense is interconnected to as how the cognitive skills also develop.
The sense of touch helps a lot of things to newborn and every child, through touch they can navigate and explore so many things around them, it will help them learn and understand that there are tangible and intangible objects in their surroundings.
It has been proven that the child develop their cognitive skills well, they are less fussy, they cry less and they have good immune system when they receive adequate touch from their parents or even from their caregiver.
What are the Senses of Human Being?
In recent study, researchers found out that human beings have more than 5 different senses. However, traditionally and basically we have just 5 senses.