Benefits of Science and Technology to our Society
Technology had been very useful in our daily activities that make our work easier and faster with less effort than before. It had uplifted us for more complex and broad society that revitalized the lives of humankind. We cannot avoid the mere fact that the technologies have some disadvantages to man, but the advantages are more than negative ones.
Today our society is considered part of digital and informational era where technology is used often to make things work faster and more convenient. This entire technological breakthrough has started in pretending and imagination by a scientist and inventor who has been misunderstood before, but now they’re the one who will go to laugh since we are all using them the so called “technology” in our day to day basis.
Science has various benefits and importance to mankind. It has uplifted and improved the standard of life and makes the understanding of the world more vivid. Technology is therefore referred as the application of science to provide solutions to problems --in medicine, agriculture, industry and in digital communication. Technologies are differentiated according to their nature and uses:
a. Gadgets or tools
c. Processes or techniques
Gadgets have supplemented recreational activities that need power and real energy just to do it but today we can now play games and adventures by just sitting and playing Xbox, psp, Nintendo, Play station and etcetera that was truly addicting to play.
Some gadgets are used for security purposes like the spying camera, surveillance camera, detectors, biometrics and other gadgets that are used for security purposes. With this innovation and advancements the security is safer and better.
It is also used in some works like computers that is widely used through the aid of the internet and all the things, whereabouts and happenings are just nearer and easy one click to make us more updated every day and every night. There are also several professions that have been evolved because of this digital era that gadgets are widely used.
A microscopic specimen can be enlarged up to 100,000 times through the scanning and transmission of electron microscope which is a very powerful tool. It allows scientists to study even minute pathogens such as the AIDS virus. In Physics, some laser devices are developed and used in medical purposes like cataract treatment. Ultrasonic devices are also an effective tool in determining the sex and position of unborn fetus, which illustrates the concept of the interrelatedness. Some disciples in science can be used in understanding more of life science.
Numerous of newly discovered chemical products have salvage plenty lives. Like for example:
- Muscle relaxant curare is used to treat tetanus.
- The sulforaphene that is found from broccoli and cabbage helps our bodies fight cancer cells.
In terms of using technology in creating new products, it is very useful and very essential to produce tons and millions of products in just an hour. Because of technology some products are enhanced and made in health purposes, recreational purposes, security purposes and religious purposes.
Products are more complex and well developed because of technology. It provides high quality standards in every product that are made…
Processes of Techniques
The mere fact that technology has been part of our daily activities makes our work easier and faster. Some of these processes are:
- Fermentation – a traditional process that is still famous and widely used to make wine and liquors. This is also done with baking and some food production.
- Alcohol production – the making of alcoholic beverages
- Composting – some technology is used for organic farming.
- Human organ transplant – operations and transplant through the help of modern technologies involving different body organs ended more successful than before.
- Gene therapy – enables scientist to replace defective or undesirable genes with healthy and much favorable ones.
In some countries like Philippines, there are some of the native and traditional processes such as:
- Bucolysis - the process of the introducing fresh coconut juice internally into patient was proven to have the ability to dissolve kidney stones.
Many problems have been solved through the aid of new technologies. But at the same time it leads to some disadvantages and concerns. Some of the few concerns are:
- Laser and curare are useful in treating diseases, however when used in weapons and poisons in may lead to vicious results.
- New breeding techniques yield crop plants and animal breeds, but in some manner it is abused and used in a destructive way that cause malignant diseases to man
- Gene therapy is an effective way to replace undesirable genes, however it seems so unnecessary to use it to change hair and eye color.
References; Science and Technology by Lilia M. Rabago Ph. D , Crescensia C. Joaquin Ph.D, Catherine B. Lagunzad , PH. D