Top 5 Craziest Laws
If people were asked what they thought about the law, some would say they think the law is really quite awesome and it helps keep people in place. Why, law-abiding citizens will even tell some people that laws are just about the only things that keep society intact. However, on the other side of the spectrum, there are some people who believe the government is run by simpletons and it reflects on the laws they put in place.
Now that might seem like an extremely biased view to some. After all, it is not like there aren’t any good laws in place. But just as there are good and solid laws, there are still some laws in the books that often make people wonder what in the world is going on. Yes, laws aren’t all about who gets the kids and house after a couple splits, what a burglar gets for breaking and entering, etc. Some laws are just so strange and completely nonsensical that people often wonder what in the world the lawmakers were thinking—or maybe they weren’t.
Crazy Laws and Bad Laws
For people who believe the law should be venerated at all costs and that the lawmakers can do no wrong, they may want to take a peek at some of the craziest laws of all time below. These will make a lot of them realize that maybe there are some laws meant to be broken and some laws that just downright do not make sense.
Roosters and Toothbrushes on a Sunday
These laws really are quite ridiculous. Most people will not believe their eyes once they see what these laws have to say about certain things. More importantly, most people will not believe that such archaic and nonsensical laws are still in place. Check out some of them below:
- A rooster must stand 300 ft. from a residence before he crows. Reading that law, most people will wonder at its sheer absurdity and wonder what backwater city or town would waste money to put such a law in place. It might seem like a law from some country with no access to modern technology or maybe common sense but in fact, this law is from the good ol’ US of A, specifically in a town called Kenilworth, Illinois. At first glance, a person could surmise that this law was put in place on the premise that animals in general and roosters in particular even are about human laws. In addition to that, you might wonder how many roosters were in the town and just how many people got so annoyed with roosters crowing that they decided to prohibit roosters from doing what is natural. Another thing you might wonder is if the town is composed of backward hicks. Only they can come up with such a law, don’t you think? Well, that is wrong because Kenilworth is described as an affluent and planned community with a population of 2000+. Rich folks—they deny roosters the right to crow.
- You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on Sunday. Does this look like an entry from Ripley’s Believe it or Not? You’d better believe that this law is real and it is still in place. Most folks would wonder what town would prohibit such a thing but this law is alive and kicking in the very much forward and modern Providence, Rhode Island. Most people who hear about this law will wonder what is so evil about selling toothbrushes and toothpastes to the same customers on a Sunday. Some will wonder if Providence residents walk around with rotten teeth and bad breath. But what is up with this law? Did the lawmakers have something against oral hygiene? Is it a religious thing? Sure, some religions prohibit work on a Sabbath day but surely that doesn’t include keeping teeth clean by brushing them, right? Indeed, it is a strange world with some truly strange laws.
- It is illegal for women to drive up to Main Street unless her husband is waving a red flag in front of the car. This law, while it may seem like something from the middle ages (if they had cars), is actually still valid and in place in Waynesboro, Virginia. It seems like some man got sick and tired of women and their inability to operate a motor vehicle and came up with a law. Now that man couldn’t really ban women from driving cars because that would be crazy. So, instead, men are to warn people that a lady driver is coming so they can get out of the way and not get maimed or killed. People who think this law is absurd should also take note of one of its provisos which is that unmarried women are not allowed to drive cars since they would not have anyone to walk in front of the car to wave the red flag.
- Car horns cannot be honked at sandwich shops after 9PM. This place must really love their sandwiches if they can pass laws to ensure they do not wake up from their naps. Absurdity and bad jokes aside, you might wonder where this particular gem comes from and it is from that wonderful city of Little Rock. It is easy to wonder what sort of event prompted such a law to be put in place but it is very real and the law plainly states that it is illegal to honk a horn at any place that serves sandwiches after 9PM. What people want to know though is if the law is strictly for sandwich shops or if pasta and Chinese takeout places also deserve such protection. However you look at it, this one crazy law that almost makes no sense.
- Convicted felons cannot operate Bingo games. It is easy to see why convicted felons should be denied some jobs but Bingo game? Why Bingo games and not other games? Apparently though, Bingo games are so special in Bensalem, PA that they decided to come up with this law. Bingo is a great past time, there is no denying that, but what would people convicted of felonies want to do with Bingo? Do their games perhaps have massive prizes? It could also be that the elderly of Bensalem are just not too comfortable around convicted felons. Either way, this law is one for the books and is in fact still in the books up until now.
Other Crazy Laws
After reading this, it is easy to think that the US has a monopoly on crazy laws but that is not true at all. The UK, for instance, has their fair share of unbelievable laws such as these little gems:
- In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless unless she is a clerk in a tropical fish store (do they mean those hoola girl figurines?).
- It is illegal to die in the house of parliament (because you really have a say when and where you kick the bucket).
Canada, too, has some rather crazy laws that leave their citizens scratching their heads. Check out a couple of them below:
- Whistling is illegal during certain times in Petrolia, Ont.
- You should not pay with too much loose change.
That second one about the coins will not land people in jail but there is a law as to how many coins can be used to make payments in Canada.
Crazy World and Crazy Laws
These laws, as crazy as they seem, were put in place to tackle certain issues. It really is a wonder though what some people consider serious enough to consider illegal.