- Education and Science»
- History & Archaeology
Traveling Back In Time-1963
Yep, I was just born, so I don't really remember much, but for those of you that do, or those of you that want to learn more, here is 1963.
Here are links to the prior hubs:
Now on with 1963. Here are some facts:
1963 was a sad year in this area of the facts. John F. Kennedy was the President and Lyndon Johnson was the Vice President. The sadness came in November of 1963 when President Kennedy was assassinated and Lyndon Johnson took over the helm. Hubert Humphrey was Johnson's Vice President.
Next are some other facts about 1963:
The United States In 1963
Some of the basic facts of 1963 are:
- The average close was 762. This past week it closed at 15354. Dow Jones
- The average new home cost was $12,650. Now, the average is $152,000.
- The average yearly income was $5,807. The average now is $42,979.
Wow, things sure have changed!
In Indiana, there was an explosion at the State Fair Coliseum that killed 74 people.
The last Studebaker car rolled off the production line.
Alcatraz, the Federal Prison known as "The Rock" closed.
The sugar cube polio vaccine was given throughout the United States.
The Ku Klux Klan bombed a church in Birmingham, Alabama which killed 4 young girls. This brought many against the white supremacist group that has spread so much hate.
The USS Thresher sinks in the Atlantic Ocean. It was a nuclear powered submarine.
New Hampshire holds the first State Lottery.
Martin Luther King Jr gives the speech claiming "I have a dream!"
AT&T introduces the first touch-tone phone.
The United States starts using zip codes.
Alcoa Corporation introduces the first pull tabs for soda cans.
The World In 1963
In Bangladesh, a hurricane and tsunami killed 22,000 people.
Hurricane Flora does major damage and kills nearly 6,000 people in Haiti, Cuba, Trinidad, Tobago, and Grenada.
In Libya, an earthquake kills 500 in the village of Barce.
In Greece, a coup is successful with no violence and unseated President George Papadopoulos.
In Germany, the Berlin Wall is open for 1 day passes.
Kenya is free from British rule and becomes an independent nation.
Pope John XXIII died and soon after Pope Paul VI is elected.
The Great Train Robbery happens in Buckinghamshire, England.
The cassette tape is invented in the Netherlands.
Russia and the United States set up a "hotline" to help prevent nuclear war.
That was just a tad of the news from 1963. Do you remember? If you do, you sure have a great memory.
What were the movies people were watching?
Top 3 Movies Of 1963
Do you have any good guesses what the top movies were in 1963?
Did you go to a drive in and see any of these?
I really doubt you rented any of them and watched them on your DVD player. You may want to find remakes and watch them on it now though. These are great classics.
- Cleopatra. This great movie starred Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. It was about the Queen of Egypt.
- It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. This comedy had a wild mix of people trying to chase down a sum of $350,000 in stolen money. Directed by the great Stanley Kramer.
- Tom Jones. This movie was an adventure/comedy that had everyone rolling. A great movie to watch even today.
Top 3 Songs Of 1963
What was the most popular songs?
What did the teenagers listen to?
Here are the top songs of 1963:
- Sugar Shack-Jimmy Gilmer and The Fireballs
- Surfin USA-The Beach Boys
- The End of The World-Skeeter Davis
Top 3 Television Shows Of 1963
It may have been on a black and white television, but people did watch some TV. These were the three most popular shows they watched in 1963.
- Beverly Hillbillys. This show was popular long past 1963. Jed Clampitt and family move to Beverly Hills after striking oil on their land. this was a hilarious show.
- Bonanza. I always loved Bonanza. A western that taught some very good morals.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show. I know my Mom used to always watch this old timer. There was a lot of comedy on this show.
Top 3 Books Of 1963
For the book worms out there, these were the most popular books in 1963. Have you read them?
- The Bell Jar-Sylvia Plath
- Where The Wild Things Are-Maurice Sendak
- Planet Of The Apes-Pierre Boulle
Cars From 1963
Can you say muscle?
Cars produced in 1963 were built for speed.
Here were some of the top 1963 cars:
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette
- 1963 Buick LeSabre
- 1963 Ford Falcon
- 1963 Chevrolet Nova
- 1963 Chevrolet Impala
- 1963 Cadillac
- 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix
- 1963 Volkswagen Beetle
- 1963 Ford Thunderbird
- 1963 Ford Galaxie
It really doesn't seem like that long ago, but it was 50 years.
Many changes have come since 1963.
Many people cried in 1963 and many were gleeful. The crying came because of JFK and the happiness was from the Beatles.
As I leave off with this hub, I will leave you videos of both. Stay tuned for more hubs in this series.
© G.L. Boudonck
© 2013 Greg Boudonck