Traveling Back In Time-1993
Our country was run by a Democrat President and Vice President. His name was Bill Clinton. His Vice President was Al Gore.
Below are some other interesting facts about the United States in 1993.
United States In 1993
Some of the basic facts are:
- The average Dow Jones close was 3654. This past Friday, it closed at 15354.
- The average cost of a new home was $113,200. The average cost of a new home now is $152,000
- The average yearly income was $31,230. The average in 2011 was $42,979.
- The average rent for a month was $532. Today it is near $800.
That was just 20 years ago.
In 1993, the Brady bill was signed which required background checks on anyone who wanted to purchase a firearm.
It was this year when Islamic terrorists bombed the World Trade Center. It caused serious damage and started a new wave of terror on United States soil.
It was 1993 when David Koresh and the Branch Davidians were raided by Federal agents in Waco, Texas.
An abortion Doctor is murdered by an activist outside an abortion clinic in Wichita, Kansas.
The United States and the Soviet Union both agreed to reduce nuclear warheads by 3,500 each. They did this by signing the Start II Treaty.
NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) is signed into law by President Bill Clinton.
Two American scientists complete the first cloning of a human embryo.
The World In 1993
In the Caribbean nation of Haiti, a ferry sinks killing 1000+ people.
In Bombay, India, a bomb explodes killing approximately 300 people.
An earthquake is felt off the coast of Japan measuring 7.8 on the Richter Scale. This caused a tsunami which killed over 200 on a Japanese island.
An earthquake in India killed just under 10,000 people.
Bosnia is the scene of war between Muslims and Croats.
The European Union is formed by the signing of the Maastricht Treaty.
An earthquake hit Indonesia killing 2200 people.
In Malaysia, an apartment building collapsed killing nearly 50 people.
In the United Kingdom, Buckingham Palace officially opened its doors to the public.
The Irish Republic Army exploded a bomb in the heart of London.
Russia is the scene of a nuclear accident at Tomask 7.
In Hamburg, Germany, during a tennis tournament, Monica Seles is stabbed by a fan who was routing for Steffi Graf.
Slovakia becomes an Independent nation after splitting from Czechoslovakia.
That was some of the news from 1993. There was a lot of death and destruction that year.
What movies were people watching?
Top 3 Movies Of 1993
What movies did you see in 1993? Do you remember?
- Jurassic Park. The crazy people that thought they would make a dinosaur theme park. It all went bad. I believe everyone I know saw this great movie.
- Mrs Doubtfire. This funny movie with Robin Williams playing the lead kept people laughing for a long time.
- The Fugitive. Harrison Ford was a hunted man. This, I felt, was a great movie. If you have not seen it, you should.
Top 3 Songs Of 1993
Do you remember the music you listened to in 1993. I had no idea these were the top hits of 1993. I must have been in a cave somewhere.
- I Will Always Love You-Whitney Houston
- Whoomp-Tag Team
- Can't Help Falling In Love-UB 40
Top 3 Television Shows Of 1993
What were you watching on television in 1993? Do you remember?
These were the most popular television shows in 1993:
- American Gladiators. This show pitted normal, everyday people against strong gladiators in a prime time game show atmosphere.
- Saved By The Bell. A bunch that were always in school. This comedy kept everyone laughing.
- Angel Falls. This drama airing during prime time was somewhat of a soap opera. It showed the lives of people in Angel Falls, Montana.
Top 3 Books Of 1993
Do you like to read? These were the top published books of 1993:
- The Giver-Lois Lowry
- The Client-John Grisham
- The Virgin Suicides-Jeffery Eugenides
Top Cars Of 1993
These are the top ten cars in 1993:
- 1993 BMW 325i
- 1993 Dodge Intrepid
- 1993 Ford Probe GT
- 1993 Honda Prelude Si VTEC
- 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8
- 1993 Lexus SC300
- 1993 Mazda RX-7
- 1993 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
- 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R
- 1993 Toyota Camry
Did that bring back some memories?
Many things happened in 1993.
Much changed the world how we know it.
Following is another reminder of an occurrence of 1993; the great blizzard.
© G.L. Boudonck
© 2013 Greg Boudonck