Bat Bird and the Reverse Camera
This hub is about another new technology which scientists and engineers used to develop a sensor to detect paths and any physical object. Earlier time they used LED(Light emitting Diode) and LDR(Light Depending Resister) to detect a present of a object or a person in several places like industrial machinery, electrical appliances and general automation. But it was not a better solution because it has visible light and it cant detect transparent items. Thus they used the ultrasonic waves that Bats use to find the way at night. They designed a electronic part that can send ultrasonic signals and a sensor to detect receiving ultrasonic waves. This amazing design has become popular in recent years while many electronic consumer items are modified with this technology.
Ultrasonic sensors are also known as transceivers. They have unique advantages over conventional sensors:
- They can be use to both detect objects and measure the distance to a object.
- They can be use to measure the discrete distances to moving objects.
- Ultrasonic waves do not change by surface, material and do not affect by color.
- It can detect small objects over long operating distances.
- And also these technology can be used for measuring: wind speed and direction
(anemometer), fullness of a tank and speed through air or water.
measuring speed or direction a device uses multiple detectors and
calculates the speed from the relative distances to particulates in the
air or water.
- To measure the amount of liquid in a tank, the sensor measures the distance to the surface of the fluid.
- According to Wikipedia this technology used in further applications such as humidifiers, sonar, medical ultrasonography, burglar alarms and non-destructive testing.
- And also it has resistance to external disturbances such as vibration, infrared radiation, ambient noise, and EMI radiation.
Ultrasonic sensors generate high frequency sound waves and evaluate the echos which are received back by the sensor. Sensors calculate the time interval between sending the signal and receiving the echo to determine the distance to an object. When they both send and receive we commonly called them as transceivers.
In automobile industry, ultrasonic sensors have become popular as reverse cameras. Recent years, reverse camera became a compulsory option for vehicles. Reverse camera is a safety device that accurately detects all the objects, and people, toys, pets, another autos, etc. that are behind your vehicle while you back up. According to the Department of Transportation data sheets, 27% of all accidents occur in reverse. This device helps the driver by beeping as well as LCD display inside the car warns the driver of the danger and prevents a potential accident. See the attached video. According to Toyota's latest news, their new design systems retracts the seat belts and warns the driver when it determines a high possibility of a accident. If the driver does not brake, the Brakes are applied automatically to reduce collision speed.
waves over 20,000Hz frequency can't be heard by human ear. Transducer
works by turning electrical energy into
sound, then upon receiving the echo turns the sound waves into
electrical energy which can be measured and displayed. Ultrasonic
sensors become compulsory parts for robotics as well. And also we can
find it in agriculture and medicine.