Top Five Potential Disasters
2012 has come and gone. All the doomsday predictions have failed. That does not mean we are out of the woods. There are a few potential disasters that are likely to occur and will affect a large number of people around the world. The odds of any event occurring is small but the potential for damage is great. "Be prepared!" is the motto of the Boy's Scout.
Natural disasters due to weather and earth quakes and hurricanes and tsunami are a periodic event. Ever so often, a big one occurs that can kill ten's of thousands of people. However, as devastating as they were, they are usually recoverable within a few years. The disasters that I'm talking about will affect many more people in a large geographic area and may last a long period of time. One glaring example is the Black Plague where 25 million people died in just under five years between 1347 and 1352 in Europe.
The events that I am talking about would cause mass destruction of lives and destruction of infrastructure that cannot be repaired in a short period of time. In our modern world, we rely on electricity, water, gasoline, food, cell connection and internet connection. If we were to loose access to any of them for extended period, there would be chaos.
Here Are My Top Five
- Nuclear War - a nuclear bomb going off in any large city either by war or by accident will be a disaster that can last for decades. The lasting effect of radiation can be 20 years or more.
- EMP - Electro Magnetic Pulse weapons have two flavors, nuclear and non-nuclear. In either case, they can damage all electronic devices within a large area and take down the power grid. Can you imagine life without electricity for extended periods such as months.
- Bio Terror - There are three types of bio terror agents. Any of them will cause large number of casulties. Agent such as the ebola virus can spread rapidly. Some have no cure or immunization. We are at their mercy.
- Cyber Terror - The world is more connected and automated than ever. They lead us open to cyber warfare and major disruptions of our infrastructure and financial institutions.
- Stray Asteroid - An asteroid can strike earth with little warning. Past events have destroyed the dinosaurs. The 1908 Tunguska event in Siberia is a warning that it can happen anytime.
Some people worry about Global Warming as the top man made disaster. I am a skeptic. However, there are five potential disasters that are real short term threats. Four are man made and one is natural. We can try and prevent them or mitigate the effects once they happen. It is better to be prepared than sorry.
Some Related Information
- Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A deadly weapon.
- Bioterrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Three types of agents.
- Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A natural disaster that can kill millions.
- 10 greatest threats facing the world in 2014 according to World Economic Forum
The World Economic Forum released Thursday its 'Global Risks 2014' report. I don't agree with these assessments but just want to show some other opinions.